INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you turn a two-disk Music Video into one-disk (one file) video?  (Read 2614 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have merged two-disk movies into one single movie file before (which was easy since each disk was just a single mkv file), however now I have a two disk "Music Video" (Pink Floyd - Pulse).  Each disk has its own menu, music videos, and extras. I just want to combine the music videos on both disks into a single file.

I would like to be able to start playing this Music Video at the beginning (of disk 1) and have playback continue without manual intervention until it finishes playing disk 2. I don't want the commentary or extras.  I don't care if the two disks stay separate in MC's library or if they are combined into one single mkv file. Whatever it takes.

If I rip disk 1 and disk 2 to mkv format, I will get about 12 files per disk (some may be commentary or such, but many more than the single file a movie rip produces). Would I need to "append" each individual mkv file to the end of the previous one to end up with one single file (meaning append title01 to title00, and title02 to that, and so on), or is there some other (easier) way to do this? Can "particles" achieve what I'm after?

This is my first two-disk Music Video. Thanks for your help.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Simplified answer:
First use a tool like MakeMKV to rip the music video portion to separate MKV files.
Next use MKVToolNix to merge the MKV files to one.

You can use MKVMerge (from MKVToolNix) to split the original MKV files to trim off any unwanted parts from the beginning and/or end, then use it again to join the pieces that you want. The time entries below were to trim off the black video at the end of the first and beginning of the second part.

Here are the instructions someone posted for doing someting simiar with LOTR (extended editions were split to 2 blurays):
1. Create both mkvs using whatever programs you prefer.
2. Open FOTR part 1 in mkvmerge.
3. Set the output filename to what you want.
4. Note the number of chapters (27).
5. On the global tab, check Enable splitting... ...after this duration. Place 6338s in the box.
6. Start muxing.
7. When complete, close mkvmerge and open FOTR part 2 in mkvmerge. I tend to close it between uses so I don't miss a setting I needed to clear from the last step.
8. Set the output filename to what you want.
9. On the global tabe, check Enable splitting... ...after this duration. Place 00:00:00.500 in the box.
10. In the max. number of files box place 2. This is important as without it you will end up with a lot of files 1/2 a second long.
11. Start muxing.
12. When complete close mkvmerge and open it again.
13. Go to the Chapter Editor tab and drag the FOTR part 2 mkv into the chapters box.
14. Select each chapter in order, changing the name to the next number after the number of chapters in FOTR part 1. Chapter 1 becomes Chapter 28, Chapter 2 becomes Chapter 29, etc.
15. Once finished, on the menu click Chapter Editor > Save.
16. Close mkvmerge and open FOTR part 1 in mkvmerge.
17. Click append and add FOTR part 2.
18. Set the output filename to what you want.
19. Start muxing.

blgentry

If I rip disk 1 and disk 2 to mkv format, I will get about 12 files per disk (some may be commentary or such, but many more than the single file a movie rip produces).

You shouldn't get a ton of titles per disk unless, as you say, there are many special features like making of, behind the scenes, etc.  Each DVD should have one main title that is very long, comprising the entire performance.

I actually have that Pulse DVD set and have ripped DVD #2, the Dark Side Of The Moon performance.  I'm not sure I've ever even played disk #1!  Again, I'd expect there to just be one large title on each one.  You can look at the title list in MakeMKV and rip the biggest one.  Or figure out the title number using VLC or another player.  That's how I do it.

As for playback there are several options.  As the previous poster said, you can merge the video files into one.  Or you can store each disk as a separate "concert".  You can then just add them both to Playing Now, sequentially, and when one finishes the other will start.  On my system this produces a momentary screen blanking (in white), in between video files.  I'm not sure what happens on Windows.

Yet another way to do this, is what I prefer:  Splitting each disk into chapters so that one file is one song.  You can fairly easily number these with episode numbers, so they will sort sequentially.  Then you can play individual songs from the concert, or add them all to Playing Now at once and play all of them back to back.

Brian.

CountryBumkin

Thanks for the help.

This is makeMKV screen shot for disk 1. Disk 2 is similar. So your saying the 3.9GB file is all I need. I watched a minute or two of the smaller files (the 1.1GB and the 857MB) and they contained concert video too - but maybe those concerts are contained within the 3.9GB file. I suppose I need to watch more of the file to know.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I did something similar to this a couple of days ago, using Adobe Premier Pro CS6.

Two DVD set. Video in VOB files. Found the two correct VOB files by playing them in Zoom Player (MC wouldn't play the VOB files directly, even though it has a file association). Could have used VLC or even DivX Player as well.

Imported to the two VOBs into Premier Pro. Combined them. Saved the result as an MP4, re-encoded to 1280x720. The original was 1024x576 anamorphic. Annoying!

Job done.

Aren't there any MKV tools that can just convert the required VOB files, rather than rip everything? If so, you could do that and then merge them with MKVMerge. Might save a bit of effort.

EDIT: Ah, I see. You are having trouble picking the correct video segments. The 3.9GB one looks correct, but as you say, you may need to watch the smaller ones some more to work out what they are. They be duplicates of part of the concert, but with commentary on them. Something like that. No quick way to work out what is good in this case.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

This is makeMKV screen shot for disk 1. Disk 2 is similar. So your saying the 3.9GB file is all I need. I watched a minute or two of the smaller files (the 1.1GB and the 857MB) and they contained concert video too - but maybe those concerts are contained within the 3.9GB file. I suppose I need to watch more of the file to know.

Here's what I do when I'm ripping disks:

1.  Open with MakeMKV and wait for it to finish processing the title sets.
2.  Open the disc with VLC.
3.  Navigate the disk in VLC to play the main movie.
4.  When the main movie is playing, go to the Playback menu and go to Title to see which title is selected.  That title number is the main title.  In your case, it's almost certainly the 3.9 GB title.
5.  Continue navigating via VLC to make sure I do or do not want the rest of the disk.  This includes going to the special features menus and seeing if I want any of that stuff, etc.
6.  If there are multiple audio options, I generally select them manually in VLC from the Audio menu to make sure I can hear the director's commentary, etc, as well as the main movie audio.  This might include surround tracks, stereo tracks, and perhaps even foreign language tracks.
7.  Using the information obtained above, I then select the title or titles I want to save and the audio track or tracks I want.  I usually select the main subtitle track too, because it's almost zero storage size and might be useful at some point.

In the case of the Pulse DVD, I'm now remembering that disc 2 has LOTS of extra footage.  It's primarily the graphics that they are showing on the projection screen in the concert hall during the concert.  These extras are the graphics and animation "pure direct", in case you want to see them isolated from the concert footage.  Like Roderick said, you'll need to go through them one by one and see if you want them.  They are NOT part of the main concert though, so that might make it easier for you.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up