INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit Rate display question  (Read 3973 times)

KenEia

• Recent member
Bit Rate display question
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:11:24 pm »

I have an Ayre QB9 DSD and I play all formate of music from mpeg to dfd and the bit rate on the Ayre always says 192. The Windows 7 OS is set to 24/192 so this may be the reason. What I want to know is what configuration should the PC OS and J River be set to for it to reflect the correct bit rate. I'm also limited to 24.192 even while playing dfd and other DSD formats. Clearly the Ayre can play up to 64DSD above the PCM limit of 192.  Thanks in advance.

P.S> I have read the DSD notification on the J River Home page and followed it....no change.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bit Rate display question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:52:42 am »

It sounds like you have MC's DSP Studio set up to transcode everything to 192,000 Hz.

Player > DSP Studio > Output format > Sample rate > (check settings for each rate here)

Set these to "no change" for sample rates you want passed through directly.  For rates that your DAC can not play, set them to rates that your DAC *can* play.

We'll get to DSD after you get PCM playing correctly as you want it to.

Brian.

KenEia

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:52:06 pm »

THANKS. It works. Now what about DSD?  I can play them via DSD to PCM but not DSD directly, which the QB9 upgrade should allow.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 04:54:44 pm »

Thumbs up!  Good job.

For DSD, you'll want to set up bitstreaming:

Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > DSD

That will make MC pass all DSD audio through untouched.  It will NOT hit the DSP studio at all.  This means no EQ, no volume control, .... nothing.  It will just get passed as pure DSD to the DAC.

Good luck.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:07:32 pm »

The Ayre DAC uses a format called DoP (DSD over PCM). In that format, the DSD is packed into a PCM wrapper and sent to the DAC. The DAC reassembles the bits into a DSD signal. The DoP signal is 192 KHz for 1x DSD (64DSD).

If you use the WASAPI driver and have bitstreaming set in Audio, it will send a DoP signal for DSD.  If you use the ASIO driver you need to select the DoP option in the driver. You also should set the volume in MC to 100%. You need to use either WASAPI or ASIO for DSD.

In the Windows Audio setup, there is an option to use Exclusive Mode. That should be on by default, but it is worth checking if you are having problems playing DSD.

You can use Audio Path (the button with the vertical squiggly lines next to the shuttle button at the top of the display) to see what format and sample rate MC is sending.

When playing DSD, the DAC may display 192 (because of DoP) or DSD. It depends on what the DAC is programmed to display.

KenEia

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:13:31 pm »

No joy on DSD playback. I've set it to WASAPI Ayre Bit streaming DSD and all the DSP studio output format bit rates to no change.
I can't play dff or dsf files now. All others play and the proper bit rate shows on the Ayre. I've tried ASOI...same effect and Bitstreaming off...same effect

I then changed all bit rates higher then 192 to 192 and still no playback on dff or dsf files
 :( :(

KenEia

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 03:04:46 pm »

dtc Im in Win7 Control Panel Hardware and Sound playback set to Ayre USB interface
I disabled all enhansements, in Advanced  set it to 24bit/192KHz
checked the allow app to take exclusive control
unchecked the box next to "Give exclusive mode priority" << is this what you ment?
still cant play dff or dsf files.

My iMac has no USB device attached for audio playback and it plays dff and dsf files ok. But of course the DSP output formats are all set to 48KHz and the bitstream in set to none.  Both iMac and PC are running MC21 and using the same NAS audio files.

KenEia

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »

OK I got it to play DSD in DSD format and showing 64 which I think is correct. Here was the problem.
Player DSP studio output device was set wrong
Default Direct doesn't work
ASIO doesn't work
Ayre USB Interface WASAPI doesn't work
Ayre USB Interface Direct Sound doesn't work
the only one that did work was Ayre USB Kernel Streaming
these last three are hidden under more...in the device settings.

Thanks for your help..got me thinking.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 06:10:53 pm »

Glad you figured it out.  A little surprising that KS works and WASAPI doesn't, but as long as it works that's great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up