INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong series art on client.  (Read 5656 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Wrong series art on client.
« on: April 21, 2016, 12:21:46 am »

The auto lookup of series art pulled foreign series art for a show. I have corrected this on the server, and it shows correctly on the server but when I pull the show up on a client it still shows the foreign art work. There is nothing in the cover art folder on the client so I am not sure where it is getting the old art from. How do I force it to see the change on the clients?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wrong series art on client.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:52:04 am »

What is in the [Image File] tag of the problem file?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:23:21 am »

If it shows correctly on the server, its probably just the thumbnail needs to be rebuilt.

Just disconnect reconnect to the server (like load the local library and then reload the server's library) or stop/restart JRiver,  on the client. This should rebuild the thumbnail. Forcing a sync can do this most of the time, but for some reason it doesn't ... especially on shows as the image is not is not embedded in the file container,  like an audio file would be.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:58:23 am »

95% of my Series cover art works properly. But there are still 5% that comes up wrong on the Client. No matter how many times I disconnect reconnect to server, or reboot the Client, or reboot the Server, or rebuild thumbnails, etc. It's usually just one or two series at a time that are wrong. Sometimes after several weeks, one of them will suddenly correct itself, meanwhile another one will unexpectedly change to something else (wrong).
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:02:31 am »

Were are you looking for stored cover art on the "Client" machines? At Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center" then in Series folder, - what about "Thumbnails"?

I'm not sure but I believe Series Cover Art "thumbnails" are stored in thumbnail folder (and I'm not sure how to check the contents of the file there). Perhaps someone else can comment on this idea. Could this be part of the problem?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:32:23 pm »

Thumbnails are prebuilt smaller copies of Cover Art files, and are all stored in the Thumbnails Database, which by default is located at:
C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Thumbnails

On the server of course, when running in Client-Server mode. Actually there is a cache/copy of the Thumbnail Database on the Client in the same location as well.

You can't check what is in there, other than using MC, as the files is just a compressed set of image files which MC has pointers for, to extract the correct thumbnail. Although there may be tools available to check, if JRiver uses a standard thumbnail database format. Actually, it seems like there are a lot of such thumbnail viewers, at least for standard Windows thumbnail database files.
All you need to know about thumbnail cache files in Windows.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »

Okay, here is some more information.

When on the client, click on Playing Now>Playing from [your server library name]>[your server library name]. On the right you will see information about the library, including the line (using my database size as an example);

Size: 36797 files; 22.9 MB in library; 432 MB in thumbnails

Using that information I was able to identify Thumbnail cache of my the Server Library, stored on the Client. See attached image of the directory. Note that all files in that directory add up to 432 MB, as per the size above. That is how I know that is the Server Library thumbnails. The other directories are older and smaller.

I suspected that when a Client opens a Server database, only the library is sent across, which is quick as it is only 22.9 MB in my case, and that the Thumbnail cache must be sent across at some other time. I suspected that because when I first checked the cache, the file "Date Modified" showed as 7:52 am on April 21st, while it was actually 9:53 am on April 22nd here at the time.

Just to test, I closed the Server library again, and reopened it on the Client. The thumbnail cache files were updated immediately. So, my suspicions were wrong. Although my observation would seem to indicate that the Thumbnail cache isn't updated every time the Server library is opened on a Client.

I guess we need a developer to explain when the updates are done, or why a thumbnail on a Client may not match the thumbnail on its Server.

Or someone with a known thumbnail mismatch could try closing the library on the Client, backing up the Thumbnail cache for the Server library somewhere, then deleting it from the directory, then open the Server library again and see if the thumbnail cache is immediately rebuilt, and if the thumbnail mismatch is fixed.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »

When this happens to me (hasn't happened in a long time), I delete everything in this directory ON THE CLIENT while it is disconnected.

"AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Thumbnails"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:52 pm »

If that fixed the problem, it seems you have done the test I asked for then, and it works.

Mind you, if you delete everything in that directory, and have one or more Local libraries on the Client, you would be deleting the Local library's thumbnails as well, and they would have to be rebuilt. So it might be a good idea to identify the Server library cache like I did, and just delete that.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 03:46:47 pm »

What is in the [Image File] tag of the problem file?

The thumbnails for the episode are fine, it is the series art that is broken. The tags are all filename.jpg where filename = the actual filename of the video file.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:48:37 pm »

Were are you looking for stored cover art on the "Client" machines? At Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center" then in Series folder, - what about "Thumbnails"?

I'm not sure but I believe Series Cover Art "thumbnails" are stored in thumbnail folder (and I'm not sure how to check the contents of the file there). Perhaps someone else can comment on this idea. Could this be part of the problem?

There is nothing in the cover art folders on the client machine. I have rebuilt thumbnails and the incorrect cover art has survived multiple reboots at this point. There is a problem with MC not refreshing it's cache for changes on the server.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:55:43 pm »

Or someone with a known thumbnail mismatch could try closing the library on the Client, backing up the Thumbnail cache for the Server library somewhere, then deleting it from the directory, then open the Server library again and see if the thumbnail cache is immediately rebuilt, and if the thumbnail mismatch is fixed.

I shut down MC and renamed the {long hex string} folder that represented the server's library to {long hex string}.old. When I reopened MC it recreated that folder from scratch and now the cover art is correct.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »

Excellent. That seems to be the solution then. I must remember that for future questions.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »

When this happens to me (hasn't happened in a long time), I delete everything in this directory ON THE CLIENT while it is disconnected.

This works perfectly. Wish it had been a sticky or posted months ago in my many cover art problem topics, could have saved me hours of headache.

I hope this bug gets fixed in future MC versions.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:34:08 pm »

I'm glad I found this thread! I just started using a client/server setup, and bizarrely, my series and season cover art for one show was using images from another. I couldn't figure out how to fix it...

Aimhere
Pages: [1]   Go Up