INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easiest "External Now Playing" to a different device?  (Read 2642 times)

SpedInFargo

• Recent member
Easiest "External Now Playing" to a different device?
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »

I have a great listening station set up at work using JRiver.  Very happy with my library and all functionality.

One last thing that would be nice would be for me to set up a little second device (probably an extra Android phone or tablet) whose only purpose would be to display the currently-playing song (artist, track, album) and its album art.  It wouldn't even have to show the track elapsed time or anything like that.

I have a three monitor set up at work but even with that it seems that I'm continually alt-tabbing or clicking on the JRiver icon just to see what song is playing.  "Always-on-top" isn't a great option because sometimes I need all three screens for other stuff...  a small standalone screen would be great for me.

Maybe the remote control app would be good for this?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Easiest "External Now Playing" to a different device?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »

Maybe the remote control app would be good for this?

Yup thats what you want. I use my 8 inch android tablet to display while I'm working on pc....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:04:23 pm »

I just did a couple of experiments using an android phone as a "remote display".  First I tried EOS remote, since that's what I use most of the time.  It seemed to work well after I enabled the option to keep the screen on.  But then when I paused a track using MC's computer interface, EOS didn't notice and kept counting as if it were playing.  I then confirmed that EOS doesn't seem to see any events coming from MC.  Changing tracks forward or backward were just ignored.  So EOS seems to be a no go.

Next I tried Gizmo.  Again, I had to turn on the keep screen on option.  Surprisingly Gizmo worked like a champ.  It showed the song correctly and tracked with MC as I changed songs using the MC computer interface.  I'm not sure how JRemote works doing this as I don't have a copy of it to test with.

Good luck,

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

JRemote works well. I use it this way frequently.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:19:14 am »

JRemote works well. I use it this way frequently.
I've tried this with JRemote too .. it works (only have tried the IOS version and not the Android, but for playing now functions should be the same). I set up a second server just as a renderer, though as clients can control servers not clients (for better sound). Otherwise you could stream to the phone/tablet and use the audio out jack of course. I heard they have apps to bypass the convertor in IOS, maybe they have that for android too? Not sure have never tried.

I'd prefer to use a mini-view, though, the way you are describing things. Not all skins have them, but for the song name basic controls, why bother with a tablet just for the song or pause and skip buttons? WIth all those monitors, you should be able to find the real esate. Also unless its your company, most businesses don't like you to mess with port forwarding in their router
Pages: [1]   Go Up