INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray mkv subtitles cause stuttering since 21.0.51  (Read 3694 times)

Ashfall

• World Citizen
Bluray mkv subtitles cause stuttering since 21.0.51
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:06:02 pm »

Have had a subtitle stuttering problem since the changes made in 21.0.51.  Using HD4600 graphics on Windows 8.1.

With PGS subtitles in 1080p bluray MKV rips, within a minute or two of subtitles starting video will begin stuttering badly to where it's unwatchable.  This is in ROHQ.  In RO Standard, it will simply drop a frame or two when most subtitles appear.  This is with versions 21.0.54 through 21.0.76.  Version 21.0.50 has no subtitle problems, it's perfectly smooth in ROHQ.  Bitstreaming off/on does not matter.  Exclusive mode enabled/disabled does not matter.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
Re: Bluray mkv subtitles cause stuttering since 21.0.51
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:44:39 am »

Just a note that this is present in 21.0.80 as well.  Is anyone else experiencing this or just me?

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:47:11 am »

If you bring up the madVR preferences by right-clicking the video and selecting it from the DirectShow Filters list, there are "trade quality for performance" options in the rendering category.
Try the "optimize subtitle quality for performance instead of quality" option.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:51 am »

We improved the quality of subtitles in ROHQ in the version you list (both in rendering quality and improved timing), so if that pushes it over the performance limit for you, I would suggest to try the trade quality option that RD James suggested, or otherwise try to reduce performance demands.
Note that RO Standard should have had no changes.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »

RO Standard has always had a skip, or single frame drop, each time a PGS subtitle is displayed.  It's been this way since v19 for me (the version I started on).  With or without hardware acceleration enabled.  But I've always used ROHQ with minimal settings so haven't noticed.

It seems like "optimize subtitle quality for performance instead of quality" might help some, possibly delaying how long it takes before the problem starts.  I'll try some of the other "trade quality for performance" options to see if I can consistently get it to work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:02:55 am »

With every option enabled on the "trade quality for performance" the problem still occurs.  It just takes a little longer to start.

Reverting back to 21.0.50 completely eliminates the problem.  I guess the new subtitle rendering is just too much for my i3 4340.  I'll try tuning some other madvr options and post any successful results.

I'd happily use RO Standard, but that has always subtly dropped a frame each time a subtitle is displayed.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:52 am »

Unchecking "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" under Video options has solved the problem.

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:26:14 am »

Unchecking "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" under Video options has solved the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up