INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is an AUTOMATIC(!) (interpret)-smartlist creation planed?  (Read 3663 times)

kam

• Recent member
Is an AUTOMATIC(!) (interpret)-smartlist creation planed?
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:14:15 am »

Hi,

is there an AUTOMATIC (interpret)-smartlist creation possibility PLANED in next version(s),
=> so that you can click with right mouse on a song and you will see the option “Automatic-Create an intrerpret-smartlist of this song interpret ”?

… it would be save much time – users don’t have to create a smartlist of each(!) interpret (at me of about 700 interprets) manually.
A plug-in I didn’t found.

Thx.
kam

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is an AUTOMATIC(!) (interpret)-smartlist creation planed?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:36 am »

Did you check the "Play with Play Doctor" feature?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

kam

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:35:38 pm »

... yes, but this have no sense (I didn't find any) ... I'd like to create smartlist for certain interprets (not for all interprets) automatically´(with on or two mouse-clicks), so I it's possible to click later at These smarlist to play all Songs from one selected interpret (without scrolling and scrolling in music -> interprets).

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:20 pm »

I don't know what "interprets" means in this context.  So I'm totally lost as to what you are trying to do.  Maybe a different word, or maybe an example or something?

Brian.

kam

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:43:29 am »

(...) with INTERPRET I mean the "performer" resp. "artist" resp. "album artist" of an music composition.
Thx. Alex

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:29:17 am »

Why do you want smart lists for Artists?  The Artists view shows you all Albums grouped by Artist already.

Or, in the stock Panes view, you can click on the artist you want and see all of their songs automatically.

What are you trying to do with these lists?

Brian.

kam

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:57:39 pm »

Hi Brian,

I have many, many artists (I have to scroll with the mouse wheel 50 times to come from the beginning to the end of the artist-list in the Music section (about 1.000-2.000 artists)). To play an artist, it would be a Little Long "scrolling-search" first (...).

So I would like to create playlists of my personal "best of" artists (about 50 artists).

I can do it by creating a smartlist for each Artist MANUALLY (in which from all albums of the specific artist the music is shown and will be played).
But I think this MANUAL-smartlist-create is much, much longer than click of a song of the specific artist an click after "auto create a smallist of this artist from/with all albums" with the right mouse key.
With this possibility the user could have 50 smartlists of 50 artists in about 25 minutes (2 artists per minute). - BUT with the "normal" (manually) way the user needs about 2 hours because the copy and paste of the artist name, open, select the smartlist fields per artist [...] needs about minimum 2 minutes per artist.

Hope I could explain the problem ;-)
Thx. Alex

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

Ok, I understand what you want.  Sounds like you have a pretty giant collection.  MC has better ways of doing what you want to do.  In this case, I think you would benefit from a custom view.  A view called "Favorite Artists".  You could set this up as a two level view, so it shows you artists first and then albums.  Or just albums.  But they key here is that we are going to LIMIT this view to ONLY show you the 50 (or so) Artists that are your favorites.

Let's build you a new view:

1.  View > Add View > Add Library View
2.  Select a template.  I suggest the Artists (small) template.
3.  Give it a name like "Favorite Artists" and hit OK to create it.
4.  Look in Audio on the left side and you should see your new view.  When you click on it, it will have all of your Artists.  We are going to customize that.
5.  Right click on the Favorite Artists view > Customize View.
6.  Settings > Included Files > Set Rules for file display .  Now you'll see a search wizard, which allows you to limit what this view will show.
7.  Under Rules, select Artist, "is any", and then pull down the last box .  In this last box you'll see a list of all of your artists.  Just put a check next to any artist you want to see in this view.
8.  When you're done press OK several times until you are back to your view.

You should now see only those artists you checked off in step 7 above.  You can edit this view at any time to add or remove artists from this Favorite Artists view.

You can also change this view to be a Panes view, or show albums at the top level, or many other customizations.  The big thing here is to limit the view to only show the artists that you want quick access to.  That should do it.

Good luck!

Brian.

kam

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 04:09:31 pm »

Brian,
thanks first, it's a good explanation of you.

BUT ... sorry;-) ... at the end it's the same thing what I can do via create an "manually" smarlist. -> There I can also add different artists in (one) smartlist.

MY 'PROBLEM' IS: I need my favorite artists (left) in a TREE(! ;-)) AND where I can see all songs from one artist.
So I could click VERY FAST the relevant artist and see all Songs of this clicked artist => AND NOTHING from other artists, too.
Hope I could explain my 'problem' ;-)
Other suggestions?
Thx.
Alex

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 04:32:40 pm »

MY 'PROBLEM' IS: I need my favorite artists (left) in a TREE(! ;-)) AND where I can see all songs from one artist.

Views show trees when you click on them by default.  My Favorite Artists view (that I built for a test) has a tree of the artists, on the left, inside the view.

So I could click VERY FAST the relevant artist and see all Songs of this clicked artist => AND NOTHING from other artists, too.

This kind of rapid access to an artist and filtering down to just songs from that artist is what Panes views were designed for.  Have you tried a Panes view?  It's very, very fast and filters just like you described.  You can easily convert back and forth from a Categories view to a Panes view by doing "Customize View".  So you can see how they both look and play with them. 

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 11:06:12 pm »

Blgentry is right, panes are very fast. 

Personally I would make a custom field (check box) and create a view that has one pane for checked or unchecked, and filter using that.  It's similar to what blgentry described but would be faster to filter.  Or create a new favourites view and filter using the checkbox

With such a custom field enabled one could easily create smartlists as well

how your music is organised in Windows makes a difference in what might work as well (folders for artists?)

RD James

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 10:19:33 am »

1. Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields
2. Add New Field "Favorite Artists"
   Data Type: Integer
   Relational: Store one value for each artist
   Edit type: Check
3. Add Library View
   Artists (small, with files)
4. Customize View
   Set rules for file display
   Favorite Artists is 1
5. Add "Favorite Artists" field to your view to display a checkbox.

Now you just need to click the checkbox and that artist will be added to the view.

kam

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:49 am »

... sorry, I saw your messages not before now:

1. I didn't saw there was/is a tree (because the tree was closed at the beginning) - Thanks!! - This is what I wanted. Yes. 5 x
  • !

2. Thanks the others, too! - I will test it, sounds also good.

All is here better than I thought - Also You !!! ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up