INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forced Subtitles  (Read 2387 times)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Forced Subtitles
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:33:04 pm »

Is there a way to enable forced subtitles in MC 21.0.80? I've searched the Wiki and found some discussion, but I haven't been able to figure out how this can be done. I'm viewing a blu-ray iso rip of The Godfather and if I want to understand what's happening to Michael Corleone in Sicily I have to turn on subtitles manually. And then of course even the English dialog has English subtitles.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Forced Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »

It depends how the Blu-ray is made. Maybe there is a second subtitle track with only the forced subtitles in it. Unfortunately in that case there is no way to reliably detect that automatically.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »

I only ever use MKV rips, so I'm not sure if this will apply in your case, but make sure you have a default subtitle language set under Video options.

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:35 pm »

Thanks. I have the default language set to English. PowerDVD shows the forced subtitles, but I would prefer to use MC because PDVD seems to be jacking up the audio and video settings (the equivalent of an aggressive "loudness" switch on both).

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:19 pm »

I have The Godfather bluray, and the forced subs are the 3rd English track.  I ripped to folders and MC doesn't automatically play the forced subtitles, just like you said.

You could try using MakeMKV to rip it to MKV.  Select the 3rd English subtitle track and set the mkv flags for that to df.  D=default, F=forced.  That's the way I rip all my discs and MC handles it perfectly.  For some discs, the forced subtitles are included in the main subtitle track, and individually set to forced rather than the whole track set to forced.  In those cases when you rip to MKV, don't set the forced flag just set the default flag.  MC works with those just fine as well.  I recommend you do not select the "forced only" subtitle track.  That is supposed to extract only the forced subtitles from a track and create a new separate track with it.  But it's buggy, and subtitle display timing can be way off, so I never use that option.

Check these two sites for the correct forced subtitle track:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V8lwy44FwxR3h_3g9eI0OexOz7_4zeuhfCwD-QX97I4/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nAMVVnmk3vSaUiuFXcN7D0R69FHIP4tfIkTdThTkXEk/

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:33:23 pm »

Thanks for the info. With all the progress in video support perhaps this will work in MC soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up