INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library refresh speed  (Read 1744 times)

savethedaydave

Library refresh speed
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »

With V15, refreshing the MC database took seconds (3-5) after clicking on my music folder in Drives and Devices. V21 is taking MINUTES (2-5). I use MC to organize currently 15K songs on three computers, so when I add 15 or 20 songs, I refresh the library so the new songs are visible. What use to take me 15 seconds per Computer is now taking me 5 minutes, or over 15 minutes for the three computers. I can't imagine that MC developers would have SLOWED DOWN the refresh process--what am I doing wrong with the new version?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library refresh speed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:05 pm »

Why are you clicking on the folder under Drives & Devices? I assume you mean Drives & Devices>Explorer>Disk or Network>Folder.

That method uses the operating system and looks up the hard drive, so how long it takes is more to do with your hardware than MC. As an example, I have over 28,000 files on a shared drive accessed over a 1Gbps network, and that took about 90 seconds to "refresh" using your method, the first time. The second time, no doubt because stuff was cached, it took less than 20 seconds. The third time it took less than 5 seconds. In Windows Explorer it is quicker, but that is understandable to me; MC is called OS functions, not using its own.

But, if you want to see new audio files in MC immediately, just run Auto-Import and then look at the Audio views. Or, if you have Auto-Import set to run in the background, and the files are on a system that reports file events, just put the new files in a watched folder and check them in about 5 minutes. See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import.

Media Center's Background Auto-Import works by:
## Monitoring File System Events for changes and responding instantly to only those files that changed in a watched directory.
## Running a background full-scan of the defined watched directories, and checking for changes, once every two hours. This is run with a low thread priority to prevent it from impacting foreground tasks.

Also, you can check for recently added music using the "Recently Imported" Smartlists, specifically the "Audio -- Recently Imported -- Imported this week" or "Audio -- Recently Imported -- Imported today".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up