INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to: have one album show up in two different places in the same via? Possible  (Read 4108 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

I have a lot of albums by Frank Zappa. I also have a lot of albums by Capt Beefheart. I have a few albums by Zappa and Beefheart.  Is there a way to get those albums that feature both artists to appear in both the Zappa heading and the Beefheart heading while only existing in one place on my harddrive?
I'm sorting by album artist currently.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

tag the artist field with Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart

or

Frank Zappa; Captain Beefheart

or switch the names around its up 2 u
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

^ I don't think that works.  Do you have an example of how to set this up so it works as the OP asks for?

Brian.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

I haven't been able to get it yet. But I was wondering how I'd deal with that scheme when I want to present the names as first name + last name but order by last name.

DJLegba

I use TAO1857's method and can confirm that it works.

blgentry

I've tried putting multiple artists with semicolons in [Artists] and alternately in [Album Artist].  Neither gave the results the OP is asking for.  Can one of you guys outline which field(s) you put these artist names in and which view you use to see them?  I.E., which category in that view is first?  (Album Artist auto, or just Artist, or ...?)

Brian.

DJLegba

Sorry Brian, I neglected to mention that you need to modify the Artist view and change the first grouping field from Album Artist to Artist. I saved as a copy rather than overwriting the stock Artist view.

blgentry

^ Ok, that works, but it really messes things up because compilation or multi-artist albums (different artists on different tracks) get broken into many albums.  That's no good.

Brian.

~OHM~

everybody over thinks this. anybody have the album Live In Madison Square Garden by Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. It's tagged with (artist) Eric Clapton; Steve Winwood and (Album Artist) Eric Clapton; Steve Winwood . When I use the search box in panes view I get the Album and the artist choice depending on which artist i was searching. No need to modify any views and it messes up nothing!

I just confirmed searching the Artist field also yields the same result.

It also appears to work if you use a / between the artists.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ssands

• Galactic Citizen

The search will work.

I guess I wasn't clear: I am not concerned about using the search bar to find the album.

But what I am looking for is that when I am using Std View, and displaying in the upper right panel, I look at grouping by Artist. When I double-click that artist, I see all the albums where that artist is the album-artist.

What I would like is that when I (in my example), I click on Frank Zappa (I sort by Last Name, but view by first Name Last Name), I will see an album that he and Capt. Beefheart did together.

Now, when I click on Capt. Beefheart, I'd like to see the same album, even though it resides on a single place on my hard drive.

That's what I am looking for.

~OHM~

sorry I can't help...maybe one of the wizards will pipe in and help you set something like that up! good luck.

DJLegba

I think the view definition I have described is what you want. You'll see the same album under Zappa and Van Vliet.

blgentry

I think the view definition I have described is what you want. You'll see the same album under Zappa and Van Vliet.

Does that break compilation albums up into many albums in that view?  I tried a simple version of this, just using [Artist] as the category and all of my compilation albums were broken into multiple albums.  This is what I would expect to happen after I thought about it actually.

Does this not happen on your system, or do you just not care about that particular behavior/feature?

Brian.

DJLegba

do you just not care about that particular behavior/feature?

Correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up