INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ and portable hard drives  (Read 657 times)

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
MJ and portable hard drives
« on: February 06, 2003, 01:24:30 pm »

I'm wondering how viable it is for me to somehow load my (16GB) MP3 collection onto a portable hard drive for use on any computer, preferably with Media Jukebox. This requires the solution of several problems:

Is there an easy (or any) way to duplicate a library with the files rooted in a different path? My library has all the MP3s entered with path \\josh\joshmusic\... where there may be more subdirectories after. I would like to have an exact replica of this library, playlists and all, but with the files entered as something like G:\..., with the same subdirectory structure. Can one do this easily? Is there any text file one could do some kind of search-and-replace operation with? What about cover art? The reason I ask this is if I get a portable USB hard drive, it would be nice if I could do this using its drive letter.

Secondly, to what extent (if any) can Media Jukebox 8 be run off of a portable hard drive? If I install it onto said portable hard drive off of one computer, and then execute it off another, will I get registry and DLL problems? Is there any way to remedy this?

Any solutions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joshua

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MJ and portable hard drives
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:53 am »

Joshua,

You could copy your \\josh\\joshmusic directory to your removable drive and then when you connect to any computer import the files from the drive.

If you are looking for the ability to find and replace the naming of the files that are already imported, you can do this with MC 9.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up