INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie considering to buy MC9  (Read 1896 times)

JcMarin

• nothing more to say...
Newbie considering to buy MC9
« on: August 10, 2003, 07:18:44 pm »

I'm new to Media Center (or Jukebox for that matter) and my evaluation version is going to expire next week, so I need to decide if to buy MC9, but had a couple of questions on licensing (yes I did read the licensing FAQ) and then wanted some feedback from both Developers and user community to understand where MC is going.

I’m currently using MMJB7.5 with DFX in my HTPC for my Music, and use Girder to control things there. So far I like the Music side of the program and could fairly easily switch although I do have some investment in time and money I would be loosing, but I’m considering to switch because of NetRemote; I have been testing NR with MC9 and think it’s by far the best integration/smart remote out there.

So here are my questions and would appreciate some feedback from the experienced users/devs here.

* What does the license cover in terms of upgrades and what is the frequency of upgrades (minor / major)
* What about tech support policies of previous versions? What determines the feature list? User requests is part of the formula?
* What’s in the pipeline for next releases? Where is MC9 going?
* What kind of commitment is there to continue developing debugging new features? (like iPod plug-in for example)

I think the program is already a very good option in terms of music library management and playback but honestly think has still a way to go in other areas like DVD, Video Playback, TV (I currently use programs like Zoom Player, PowerDVD & WinPVR)

Will we see a truly powerful Multi-Media app in the near future? Is it already good enough to use for video/TV besides Audio?

Regards,
_______
JcMarin

BuiltToSpill

• Recent member
Re: Newbie considering to buy MC9
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 07:04:23 am »

What determines the feature list? User requests is part of the formula?
* What kind of commitment is there to continue developing debugging new features? (like iPod plug-in for example)  

I think this thread alone will answer some of those questions :)
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1060291802

That is our thread for the newest beta version of MC. Members can make suggestions for new features, report bugs, and basically communicate personally with the administration creating the program.

iPod wise...SteveG, one of the admin, is the "iPod guy." You can find him mostly in the iPod support thread. http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058463517

He (and/or other memebers) will try to answer most of your questions, as well as work you through some of the knicks you may experience with the iPod plug-in and MC.

Good Luck! MC is the ultamite Media program! Work with it, and us here on the boards, and you shouldnt be dissapointed.  ;D

-Spill
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 08:24:11 am »

* What does the license cover in terms of upgrades and what is the frequency of upgrades (minor / major)  

There is no policy about what we'll do in the future.  What we've done in the past is to provide one major new version at no charge.  Minor releases were always no charge.
* What about tech support policies of previous versions? What determines the feature list? User requests is part of the formula?
This is tech support.  There are no other options.  We try to listen to what users want.  You're always welcome to post a new idea and ask other people what they think.
It's not possible to say exactly what we will do.

I don't understand your question.
I think the program is already a very good option in terms of music library management and playback but honestly think has still a way to go in other areas like DVD, Video Playback, TV (I currently use programs like Zoom Player, PowerDVD & WinPVR)
We know we have room to grow.  If you want additional features, please start a thread on the topic.

Will we see a truly powerful Multi-Media app in the near future? Is it already good enough to use for video/TV besides Audio?

You can find out by trying these features.  

Thanks for considering Media Center.

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 05:35:14 am »

I use MC9 / MC9.1 with my TV card in leiu of the ATi TV software that came with the AIW7500 video card . . .
I have even removed the ATi TV/Multi-Media software from my system as MC has it all covered.
Does that help answer your question about TV/Video?

JcMarin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 11:53:54 am »

Thanks Spill, I have been reading the post on the beta release and see this is a very interactive site.

Thanks for your comments Lisa. I have an MSI Tv@nywhere card and MC9 won’t work with the tunner on this card (although I'm sure it could work with s-video input) so I haven't really been able to try out the TV features. I did see however that its still a work in progress and not yet tightly integrated.

Jim:
From what I have been seeing on the forum I understand this is a very dynamic development (and set of features) and that's probably what attracts many of your users and what gives it a lot of potential, but it would be good if you (the Developers / Admin) at least define where major time/resources are going to be dedicated (say for instance in the video or DVD playback) to either debug or develop new features.

I definitely think you need to establish a clear "Policy" in regards to what the license entitles a user in terms of future releases, and so we users don't get false expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a highly dynamic and flexible program (much like some open source projects which are driven by an active user community) but with the commitment of a company behind it. Since MC9 is not a freeware or shareware but a commercial product license, I (and probably many other users) would expect this to be clear when buying the product.

Keep up the Good Work,  I think you have a great music program and a potentially great media center, and I will probably be buying into that potential shortly (and posting my ideas and requests! :-) )
_______
JcMarin

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:59:16 pm »

I Say Jump For It

'Jump (Radio Edit)' Charted At 01 In 1992

Listening to: 'Jump (Radio Edit)' from 'Jump (Maxi)' by 'Kris Kross' on Media Center 9.1
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 06:15:45 am »

Thanks for your comments Lisa. I have an MSI Tv@nywhere card and MC9 won’t work with the tunner on this card (although I'm sure it could work with s-video input) so I haven't really been able to try out the TV features. I did see however that its still a work in progress and not yet tightly integrated.

I have posted in the past regarding TV card issues a while back and received the help I needed to get it working properly.  Yaobing was VERY helpful in this and is a real wiz with this stuff.  Perhaps if you ask nicely he will assist  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up