INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cannot import playlists  (Read 1278 times)

hickok

• Recent member
cannot import playlists
« on: August 11, 2003, 08:08:16 pm »

I  created a number of playlists in windows media player 9 and saved them as mu3 and asx. I cannot import them into media center 9.  I have set the option in media center to accept the .asx and .mu3 files.,yet when I import the playlist media center displays a list of files in the directory where the playlists are located and tells me that that no new files where found, this make a sort of sense in that the playlist I want to import points to files that media center already sees. The play list itself does not appear in any part of the tree.

Help

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: cannot import playlists
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 09:48:04 pm »

Once upon a time,  they used to show up in a branch entitled "Imported Playlists"  (or something like like) under the main "Playlists" branch.  From there, I would drap and drop them to other branches.

Smartlists are broken in the current and previous builds, and though this isn't a smartlist exactly, maybe it's related enough to explain why you are not seeing them. <shrug>

Omni

hickok

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 09:44:10 am »

the playlist I thought I imported by right clicking the playlist in the windows directory and clicking import to media center does not appear in any of the playlists include AutoSmart lists. I can not find any help on this in the help files either. Idea. See if you can duplicate this problem. Create a playlist in another player and save/export in a file format media center will work with. Once this is done try bringing it into media center. let me know what happens.

Omni

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 10:03:44 am »

Okay, done.

It works fine using v.9.1.230 (this morning's build).

I did it twice:

First, I imported (via right-click context in Windows Explorer) an old .m3u playlist which listed about 15 WMA9-loseless files.  Since I recently removed all my WMA files from the library (and went back to ape), MC not only added the playlist but imported the files as well.

Seeing the error of my ways, I deleted the imported playlist and removed the imported WMA files.  I then imported the same playlist, only this time with the correct APE files specified.  This time, it imported the playlist, but didn't bother importing any files (since they were already in my library).

In both cases, a new branch entitled "Imported Playlists" showed up under the "Playlists" branch after I clicked "OK," and the playlist's filename (minus the .m3u extension of course) showed up as a child of this new branch.

Omni

Omni

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 10:08:32 am »

Here's an unlikely thought:  Maybe MC is getting confused since you are using an invalid extension.

Maybe it was just a typo, but in your first post, you cited "mu3" files.  It's actually "m3u" files. :)

Try renaming your playlist with this extension and see what happens.  (e.g., "my_playlist.m3u")

Omni

hickok

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 04:43:15 pm »

I have figured it out. MC does an intellegent import. If it can not locate the file addresses as listed in the playlist sit does not import the list. This may be effecient but it leaves a lot of playlist that may have missing or wrong file locations out in the cold. If these could be imported in a Dumb manner without checking by MC then  the user could edit etc. Any thoughts on how to import with out being screened by MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up