INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with house arrangement  (Read 2635 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
Help with house arrangement
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:03 am »

Sorry for this long post. I do know this is an awkward setup, but when I decided on it, I couldn't think of something better. Could someone suggest a better idea?

Here goes:

Currently, I have two separate PCs with MC, each running its own  library. System A is my main one and contains locally my music files and library. System B is older, in another room, with my videos in external disks and DVDs/BRs. Both are connected to their own stereo amp etc.

When I want music in Sys B, I connect to the Lib server in Sys A. When I rip my movies, I do it in Sys A, then move them to Sys B's external disks and import them to lib B. I rarely need to access my movies when in Sys A, but it could be handy.

Sys A sleeps only late at night; Sys B does through most of the day. Sys B is connected to the router via the powerline, Sys A is right next to the router. The new router can host a network disk.

So:

Q1. If I merge both libraries in System A and connect to the Lib server from B, will the video files have to be streamed from room B to A and back to B to be sent to the projector or TV?

Q2. If I merge them in System B and run the server there, will this keep Sys B awake through the day for the music to be readily available?

Q3. What would be a better way, so that I could also edit my video library working in System A, without losing access to my music; and have my music available in System B retaining access to my video library?

yannis

• World Citizen
Re: Help with house arrangement
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:31:17 pm »

bump

So many views, no ideas? Or at least an answer to the questions?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:49:11 am »

TBH I might have missed some details in your post, but the best course of action is usually to keep all of the files on a single server (in this case System A would be the better option for a server) and then just connect via Library Server from all of the clients (System B). This might require you to move some external HDDs from System B to System A, or even purchase some new larger drives and install them in System A, but it will be the most robust and simple solution.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:13:49 pm »

Thanks for your interest; what you suggest is logical. If I were to keep all media in one place, that would be Sys B, it's much more practical - but:

1. Am I wrong in assuming that Sys B would have to stay awake in order to serve music?
2. And would it be possible to edit the library fields working from Sys A?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:06:50 pm »

Yes the system would need to be on

Yes you can tag from a client although the there are a few quirks

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:50:21 pm »

Just for future reference: I found some time to chekh the answer to Q1 above and bingo! The server has an option to "Play local file if available". Therefore, I can keep my library in Sys A and play local files in SYS B from the server, but with no need to stream back and forth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up