INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help after NAS replacement  (Read 2460 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Need help after NAS replacement
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:03:06 pm »

I'm really struggling, after having had to replace my NAS. I have music files backed up, and library backed up, but I can't seem to restore.

I've loaded all old files (in their subdirectory structure identical to the old setup). I've restored the library, but none of the files will play from within MC21. Ironically, if I double-click a file from within Windows File Explorer (I have all music associated with MC), it launches just fine.

Had to use different file folder names on new NAS, and can set new paths in the "File Locations" setting, but when trying to add Library, the old path is stuck (no option to change). I have some experience moving libraries, but this is not working at all. And when I finish fixing THIS problem, I have to fix all my playlists too. I tried the Library tool, rename, move copy, and then choose Update database to point to new location. didn't work.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need help after NAS replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 03:57:38 pm »

Had to use different file folder names on new NAS, and can set new paths in the "File Locations" setting, but

The file location settings don't really impact where MC thinks the media files are.

And when I finish fixing THIS problem, I have to fix all my playlists too.

If you did a library restore your playlists are tied to the media file entries.  So, when you fix the problem of not being able to play those files (because MC can't find them), the playlists will automatically be fixed too.  :)

I tried the Library tool, rename, move copy, and then choose Update database to point to new location. didn't work.

The Rename, Move, and Copy Tool is definitely the tool for the job.  You need to highlight the files you want to change before you run the RM&C tool.  Then RM&C will operate on only those files.  I would try it with one file to start with.  Then do some more.  Eventually highlight all remaining files and have RM&C fix them all at once.

You probably want to use the Find & Replace template inside of RM&C:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_%26_Replace_Template

You definitely want to run it in Update mode.

If you are having trouble, please post a screen shot showing the file path for some of the files that can't be found.  Then either type, or paste a screen shot of where the files are located now on disk.  With those two pieces of information we should be able to advise you how to use RM&C to fix the issue.

Good luck.

Brian.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:18:12 pm »

Hey, that worked! I shouldn't be so surprised  8).

Now I've created a smaller, more manageable mess: I have lots of duplicates...

I has about 56K music files, and now I have almost 85K. I seem to remember that there was a find dups utility in MC... is it gone? Can anyone help me locate?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:57:13 pm »

There's a possible duplicates SmartList under the factory installed "Smartlists" playlist group.  It's not very sophisticated, but it's not a bad place to start.  I've built a custom "Duplicate Finder" view that's a *little* more sophisticated, but it's no where near automatic.  It's really just a tool to help you figure things out.

If I were you I'd try to figure out the nature of your duplicates.  Go find two duplicate songs, or duplicate albums.  Now look at the filenames of a pair of duplicates.  Do they have the same file names?  Or different?  The answer should help you figure things out.

If something has happened like you've imported your regular music files and accidentally a backup copy of your music files, you can see that by looking under Audio > Files .  The location pane will help you see all of the top level directories where your music is located.  It might be as easy as simply deleting one of those locations from the library (but not from disk!).

If you need more help, post back here and we'll try to help you out.

Brian.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »

That worked too! I found the Smartlist called "Audio - Task - Possible duplicates" and sorted by import date. I removed all the imported on 5/29/16 files from the library (not deleted!). I think I'm all set!

Now: if I determine that I can safely delete those files, how do I do THAT???

THANKS!!!

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:18:26 am »

^ One way would be to display all files that the database has seen, but have been removed from it.  Then sort those by import date to isolate just the ones you deleted from that date that you thought was a problem.

You can make a smartlist or a view to show you just deleted files.  I made a view, so I could isolate by media type and by disk location.  But a smartlist should be fine.  In the view or smartlist, in the wizard, go to the bottom "modify" section.  Select "database" and "removed" .  That will isolate this down to only files that have been deleted.

That should show you what you want.  After you figure out which files you want to actually delete from disk, highlight them.  Then do delete, but this time select to remove from disk also.

Be careful!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up