INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver scrambles file playing order  (Read 2062 times)

Amfibius

• Recent member
JRiver scrambles file playing order
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:07:32 pm »

Hi all, new user of JRiver here. I am using the evaluation version of JRiver prior to deciding if I want to purchase a new copy.

The issue is this: I listen to classical music, and my music is carefully organized in folders with track numbers (ripped from CD) like this (see attachment 1):

01. Andante comodo.flac
02. Mit Wut. Allegro risoluto.flac
03. Tempo I.flac

These files MUST be played in order, otherwise the music makes no sense. Classical music listeners do not want to play one movement of a symphony, then jump to a different movement in another, and then to another symphony, and then back to the first one. We want to listen to our music from beginning to end, in the correct order.

Now see what JRiver does to the order of music in the album (see attachment 2).

As you can see, the folder already has the files correctly named, and in the correct order.

Is there a way to make JRiver respect (1) the folder structure, and (2) the naming convention when it comes to listing files for playback?

I do not wish to edit the metadata for more than 100,000 files in my music director. I already have the music organized the way I like it, all I ask is that my player respects my folder structure and my naming convention.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver scrambles file playing order
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »

Hi all, new user of JRiver here. I am using the evaluation version of JRiver prior to deciding if I want to purchase a new copy.

The issue is this: I listen to classical music, and my music is carefully organized in folders with track numbers (ripped from CD) like this (see attachment 1):

01. Andante comodo.flac
02. Mit Wut. Allegro risoluto.flac
03. Tempo I.flac

These files MUST be played in order, otherwise the music makes no sense. Classical music listeners do not want to play one movement of a symphony, then jump to a different movement in another, and then to another symphony, and then back to the first one. We want to listen to our music from beginning to end, in the correct order.

Now see what JRiver does to the order of music in the album (see attachment 2).

As you can see, the folder already has the files correctly named, and in the correct order.

Is there a way to make JRiver respect (1) the folder structure, and (2) the naming convention when it comes to listing files for playback?

I do not wish to edit the metadata for more than 100,000 files in my music director. I already have the music organized the way I like it, all I ask is that my player respects my folder structure and my naming convention.

Have you tried adding the "track number" column to your view and then sorting by it?  That should work assuming that your files have the appropriate metadata.

Amfibius

• Recent member
Re: JRiver scrambles file playing order
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:06:27 pm »

Have you tried adding the "track number" column to your view and then sorting by it?  That should work assuming that your files have the appropriate metadata.

That worked! God i'm such a n00b, didn't even see that setting. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up