INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multizone volume  (Read 2090 times)

newguy1

• Recent member
Multizone volume
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »

Hi All,

I just started playing with multizone volume, I was wondering if there is a way that I can link the volumes?  I can't seem to figure out how to do this....

If there isn't a way to link the volumes, is there a way that I can allow the Windows system volume to control both outputs?

I'm trying to setup the primary zone for L/R channels through my main dac and zone 2 for L/R subs through a second dac.....I'd like to EQ each speaker independently.

newguy1

• Recent member
Re: Multizone volume
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »

Sorry for the bump....I tried playing a multizone with a video and it said JRiver couldn't do this, is this true?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:37:52 am »

Multi-zone isn't designed for the purpose you have in mind.  If you somehow get it to work, you'll likely have timing issues between the different DACs because they each have their own internal clocks.  So they won't ever be fully synchronized.  This is important in applications with crossovers, because X milliseconds of delay between DACs ruins the timing relationships between your channels.

The right way to do this is to buy a multi-channel DAC that has the number of channels you want to use at one time.  This will work because one multi-channel DAC has one clock that is shared by all channels, so they will be properly synced. 

Linked volume might be interesting for actual multi-zone use where you might want to bump the volume up or down in several zones at the same time, but maintain the offset between those zones.  I.E., you want the whole house audio to get louder, but you still want the kitchen to be softer than the back patio.

Brian.

newguy1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:59:38 pm »

I agree, having the correct piece of equipment would be best, but I don't have the extra money sitting around.....I do however have a couple of DAC's sitting around.

I think that synchronizing the impulse response is not that difficult, and that the difference are negligible.    I was listening to tunes with the multiple DAC's and could identify no issues with timings, and I am very sensitive to these sorts of issues.

In the application that I am thinking, for the room I am in, using specific bitrates, with the kit that I am using, this would work great.  If JRiver has the capability, I feel that there is a potential for a quick and easy win on having a global application volume control. 

It would also be awesome to be able to use it during a video, but I can understand if there is extra complexity involved that would make it more difficult to implement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up