INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone interested in a view for managing stacks?  (Read 2262 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Anyone interested in a view for managing stacks?
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:13:38 am »

Since I ditched the iPod in favour of JRemote/Gizmo, I use stacks exclusively for my photo library. However, the OCD that drives me would not allow me to do this unless I had a simple way to keep an eye on those stacks.

That means that I wanted:
  • To be able to view all files in a stack, regardless of the expanded/collapsed state of the stack.
  • To be able to list only expanded (or collapsed) stacks, or both.
  • To be able to quickly determine the top image of the stack.
  • To have the list grouped in stacks.
  • Have the list warn me when the [name] and [filename (name)] fields don't match. (This might not matter for most, it does for me).

I have all of that in the attached view. Would that be useful to anyone?
I'm sure it could be tweaked to fit the needs of audio stacking, if that's more your thing.
I've just finished giving it a little polish, hence this post.

The view requires that you make one custom, expression based field first, called Stack Locator
Edit type for that field will be 'cannot be edited'
The expression would be: if(isequal([stack top],-1),Not Stacked,[stack top])
All the other panes are expression driven where required, so no extra work needed other than that custom field, which provides the list grouping, and is otherwise pretty meaningless to us.

You can gain a reasonable understanding of why this works from this post I made back in 2010 Click here to read.

As it's so important, if you don't read the link, you should read the excerpt below...
One other thing anyone experimenting must be aware of...

In normal use, when a stack is collapsed, tag changes to the top file are propogated down through the stack, and when files in an expanded stack are tagged, then only the selected files are tagged.

When setting up a viewscheme as I have described, you see all the files in a stack, even though the stack may be collapsed, The above tagging rules still apply.
You can tag stack members exclusively even though the stack is in a collapsed state, but remember, even though you can see the individual files, if, as far as MC is concerned, the stack is collapsed, then any tagging on the top file will be propogated through the stack. If you don't want that, remember to expand the stack first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up