INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check to see if your EPG is loading  (Read 2534 times)

thane108

• World Citizen
Check to see if your EPG is loading
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:37:31 am »

Last year many of us only discovered that our TV guides had stopped loading data well after the fact  - some 10 days later after the last day loaded from the last successful update.  That left us scurrying around trying not to miss recording Downton Abbey for the wife.  (OK, I miss it too . .)

I'm concerned that many of you may be in the same boat today and not be aware that your scheduled EPG data is not being uploaded.  For your own safety - better check.

Background:  I spent the last few days trying to solve an issue with the internal mc2xml loading EPG data as scheduled.  (It loaded as expected if you manually ran it from the load guide menu and answered the dialogues.)  The only reason I was working on this was that I had just completed a clean install of Windows 10 and testing to make sure I had re-installed JRiver correctly.

I was pretty sure it was either a Windows security issue or just an error on my part - Countrybumpkin got involved to help me problem-solve.  (I never fail to be amazed and appreciative of the generous help provided in this forum.)

Here is what he discovered:

"I loaded the internal MC mc2xml version and it does seem to have a problem saving the dat file info. Perhaps a Win10 update caused the problem. I tried re-running the "...Load Program Guide..." with "run selected profiles now" box checked and each time I ran it the mc2xml setup dialog box came up. So I'm seeing the same problem as OP.

Also when the setup box is on the screen the "Please wait" box is on top of the setup window, and it will stay there until you click on the "okay button". It sort of fools you into thinking you are waiting for something to happen automatically. That "Please wait" box doesn't do anything but block your view (if nothing else, it should be behind the setup window)."

So go test - and please post if you have the same issue - so if it is systemic we can get ahead of the problem this time.

The good news is that if you indeed do have the problem you can still upload data manually even if the automatic scheduler isn't working.  It will really only be a problem if you are on vacation for more than a week or so.
Perseverance wins out in the end!

thane108

• World Citizen
Re: Check to see if your EPG is loading
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:05:05 am »

CountryBumpkin did more testing and says this may be a false alarm.

See post:

"I did some more testing.

Initially I thought I was able to reproduce the problem, but it turned out to be false alarm.  Yesterday I cleared my programs shortly after I ran an update in GUI mode.  Then I schedule my automatic update at a time shortly after that.  Automatic update failed, but only because mc2xml detected that it was run shortly before, so it simply returned without further action ("no new data available").

So I waited until today.  Cleared EPG programs again.  Scheduled an update at 9:00 am.  Update worked.  This was done on two machines, a Windows 10 and a Windows 7.

For those of you who are doing some testing, do not expect automatic update to succeed shortly after you run a manual update.  If you run repeated manual updates, each time it will end up succeeding, but each time you will be asked to enter your location and provider info.

Run a manual update.  Make sure automatic update is turned on, and the automatic update time is set properly.  Then you can check to see if update succeeds the next day.  If it does not, then we need to investigate further."

thane108

• World Citizen
Re: Check to see if your EPG is loading
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:13 am »

Correction - the above came from Yaobing
Pages: [1]   Go Up