INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export Library Field Definitions  (Read 1351 times)

Dan69

• Recent member
Export Library Field Definitions
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:58:45 am »

I maintain my master library on one system, then copy all files to another for backup and local playback purposes. This way, both systems play from local copies of the data, even when disconnected. I am pretty meticulous about the library metadata, and have created a slew of custom fields (mostly expressions) which help me organize the library.

Is there a way of exporting *just* the customer field definitions from the master library (not the metadata itself) so they can be imported into the other library? I could just make fields that save to tags, update every file in the library and let the second system import from tags, but this means making a lot of unnecessary copies of the files.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Export Library Field Definitions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:19:48 am »

Unelegant, but I can't think of another way offhand

If you restore a library backup of the main library on the playback machine, then clear the library and re-Import with the correct playback machine locations, it will move the custom fields over.  You may have to do an "update library from tags" to be able to access the metadata

There's probably another way but that should work

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:01:19 am »

Restoring the library is definitely the "right way" to do it.  If the paths are different on the target system, then you can use RM&C to update the paths to be correct.  Should be fast and easy I would think, unless you have a VERY different layout for your media files on the target system.

Brian.

Dan69

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:11:47 am »

Thanks both. I appreciate the input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up