INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resetting panes to the right  (Read 2734 times)

nila

Resetting panes to the right
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:30:09 am »

Ello Moto!

Right now when we click on a pane to the left, it resets all panes to the right. This was requested by a lot of users and so thats why its there and thats not a problem.

Sometimes though it's DEFINITELY desireable to be able to click on the panes to the left WITHOUT the right hand panes resettings and having to then re-select all items to the right.

What would be GREAT would be the ability to have it work either way.

One suggestion was that we could set it per view scheme but this might be a bit complex.

What I was thinking would be great would just be if we could have a toggle button like quick tag that lets us set it to Resetting/Not Resetting mode so we could easily switch between the two.

Also, if we could press Alt as we clicked on a field and have it do the oposite of whatever mode it's on.

So if we had it resetting to the right - if we alt clicked a value to the left, it'd know we just wanted to make an exception that one time and it'd not reset.

Same goes Visa Versa.

Only reason I'm asking this late into the game is because this is definitely a feature that would go a big way towards ease of use and it could possibly be as simple as just not calling the 'reset panes to right' function if it was in the other mode.
It might be extremely complex to put in place though just depending on how you've programmed it, I'm not sure.

If it's not too much work though, it'd be a GREAT feature to squeeze in that'd go a long way towards MC ease of use.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Resetting panes to the right
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 09:51:26 am »

Not overly sure how this would imrpove MCs ease of use by adding in an extra button but then I am not sure of any circumstances personally where I would not need the panes to reset to the right...  Each to his own I guess...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:07:32 am »

Not overly sure how this would imrpove MCs ease of use by adding in an extra button but then I am not sure of any circumstances personally where I would not need the panes to reset to the right...  Each to his own I guess...

Adam
Well the panes give you a lot more power especially when it comes to non-heirarchical schemes.  By reseting everything to the right this power is diminished and the panes becomes more heirarchical.

very simple (perhaps oversimplified) example:

Decade / Genre:

1. Click 70s on left pane then hard rock on right pane
2. Decide... mmm some nice rock tracks from the 70s, I wonder what hard rock I've got from the 80s.  
3. Click 80s in the left pane and genre resets to all.  Meanwhile you look at the track listing and think 'Is don't cry for me argentina really hard rock?'

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 10:34:24 am »

Or Year\Places\People

Show me all the pictures of me in Florida in 2003.

Now how about 2002?

Oh, darn... I have to click on Florida and Me again...

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 10:55:56 am »

every selection in the tree must its sorting be saved when clicking another item
and when coming back to it .. see it as you left it!
Tamer

nila

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 01:42:45 am »

Yup - photos definitely is the biggest time I want this!

I also sometimes do want it for music though:

2003 - Hip-Hop, M-N, Mobb Deep - oh, that album isn't there - it must have been 2002 - click 2002 - then have to select all the other genre's (not the best example but U get what I mean)

It's ease of use because having to type in the search all over again is a BIG pain in the buttocks!! :)

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 02:04:23 am »

I think the answer is to have it as an option (Nila - will LOVE this SUGGESTION) in the add/edit view scheme dialog with the default being not to reset the panes.  I have a feeling this has been suggested before - like a heirarchical / non-heirarchical setting.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 02:13:54 am »

LOL Okay you have convinced me.  All I needed was a couple of examples.  It needs to be an option though for schemes like TV Series which was I suggested it in the 1st place (Yes the blame can be placed at my door.  I will take it like a man!)

I now agree with you guys that if this could be done on a per view scheme basis with the default being no this would be good.  I have realised there are probably more schemes that I would prefer not to reset than I would prefer to.  I just dont want it to be completely the other way as my TV Series VS would be useless!!

Here's to an option!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 04:14:54 am »

An option sounds good to me - I didn't ask for it thou :)

Also though - I'd still like to see Alt+ Click do the oposite of what it's set to normally do so that we could over ride the default for the view scheme if we wanted to without having to change the view scheme.

We also (while on the panes subject) - need some way of doing: X AND B - not just X OR B like we have now.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 04:25:54 am »

An option sounds good to me - I didn't ask for it thou :)
That's a first FIRST!

Kidding!   ;D

V-Man

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 06:25:18 am »

I would prefer to have the panes to the right only reset if I double-click an item, not if I single-click. I think this would be easier than using a control-key such as Alt (well, it definitely would be for me anyway).

I'd rather have this than a per-view-scheme option. The idea's good in theory, I can just see how it could become easy to forget which options you set up for each view scheme.

nila

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 06:30:47 am »

V-Man - thats kind of the idea though to some extent - you set it up to how u want it to behave then dont think about it again :)

I can see your point though.

Double click right now plays the songs though - thats the problem - what would happen to that if it changed?

V-Man

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 01:21:14 am »

Ah yes, forgot about that. The thing is, Alt-clicking is not a very common thing to do in my experience, but the Ctrl and Shift have their common usages already.

But I guess Alt-clicking is the only way then, unless the default play-on-dclick function is changed (I'm sure that would upset plenty though).

jleerigby

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 04:16:05 am »

Now I think about it I'd rather just have it so it doesn't reset at all.  Like I said before, by resetting each time the power of the panes is diminished and it becomes purely heirarchical.  A simple answer would be to have a reset button somewhere that sets all the panes in view to 'all' but unless you click that they are left alone.

By tonight this whole thread may seem like a pointless discusson...who knows?

V-Man

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 05:15:19 am »

By tonight this whole thread may seem like a pointless discusson...who knows?

It is already pointless. Soon we will all be dead and this will all have been for nothing. See, even Media Center itself is pointless.

The world is ending, folk, trust me. We are but an insignificant blip in the landscape of the Universe. Resistance is futile, yada yada.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 05:28:48 am »

Not having it reset ever wouldn't work in many cases, though.

Let's say I wanted to see all songs from Metallica's Load album. So I click Metallica and Load. Then I want to see Megadeth. So I click on Megadeth. They don't have a Load album. So now what? Should MC just assume I want to reset the Album pane in this instance?

There are some searches that are inherently hierarchial, and there are some that aren't. The problem is, even the ones that aren't inherently hierarchial can be, and we may want to perform one. By removing the hierarchial nature, you just made it more difficult for yourself.

By allowing a View Scheme default, either hierarchial or not, you can pretty intelligently decide that an Artist\Album View Scheme should be hierarchial, but a Year\People\Places\Events view scheme probably makes more sense not to be hierarchial.

And then adding in the alt-click override gives you that final bit of control.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 05:31:59 am »

i have a great expectations for beta 227  :)
who knows..
a brand new interface!?
better treatment!?
greater speed!?
huge bug fixes!?

who knows!  :o
Tamer

jleerigby

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 10:13:50 am »

Doof.  Your point is a good one.  I guess the setting by view scheme would be best and where it's set not to reset maybe that's when the 'reset all' button should be displayed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up