INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed To Read Sector error message  (Read 1707 times)

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Failed To Read Sector error message
« on: February 05, 2003, 03:09:14 pm »

I have been using MJ for about 2 weeks now, successfully. Have been able to rip many CDs, and I planned on purchasing soon, as I have been quite happy, till now.

Sometime this afternoon, my PC rebooted. Since then, I have been unable to rip CDs. I can play the CD through MJ (and through WMP), but when I select 1 or more tracks to rip, I get the following popup error message:

"Warning - Failed to read sector. Sector 0: Incorrect function. Would you like to keep trying further tracks?"

If I answer yes, I get the same error on the next track, just with a different sector number.

Any ideas how to correct this problem? I have already uninstalled and then reinstalled MJ. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the MP3 plugin.

Below is my system information. Thanks for any tips.

Eric

System Info:

Media Jukebox  8.0.394
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 698 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 78 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Failed To Read Sector error message
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 03:20:53 pm »

Doing a search, I found other advice to try Digital Secure method. I did this, no improvement, but I do have a log if this helps:
Secure Rip Log created at 20:19:04  Wednesday, February 05, 2003

The quality percentage is the ratio of the minimum number of re-reads
to the actual number of re-reads of the CD data sectors.

D: George M! - Original Cast Recording
     Track  1: Failed to read - Quality 0%  [Overature]
           00:00:00  14 unreadable sectors were skipped in this region
           00:00:00  Hard errors. Unable to finish reading this track
           00:00:00  Rip cancelled

Eric

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 03:21:55 pm »

One more thing: I have now tried this with 5 different CDs, similar errors on all of them (so I don't think it's the source CD, which I never did, since I could play the CD through MJ, just can't rip it through MJ).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 03:28:24 pm »

A PC rebooting spontaneously, especially with Windows 2000, is not good.  There may be a hardware problem.

Reinstalling the software that came with the drive is a good place to start.

After that, anything is possible -- bad drive, memory, or CPU.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 04:10:30 pm »

Check the system event log by....

going to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>System Log. See if there's something there more descriptive. You could check the Application Log, too. As Jim said, you've got hardware problems...sounds like your ROM drive is taking a permanent break. Try to do a rip with WMP....what happens?

10-27

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 06:11:57 pm »

First, to set things clear, it wasn't a spontaneous reboot - the power went off here for a bit, then came back on. That is the reason for the reboot.

Now, looking at the Services log, several interesting items:

1. Removable Storage Service Information message: Received Handle Query Remove notification.
RSM approved the query remove request.

2. Removable Storage Service Information message: Received a device interface REMOVAL notification for device:
 \\?\IDE#CdRomSONY_CD-RW__CRX140E_____________________1.0n____#5&35c6ca11&0&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

Both of these were after I had discovered the ripping no longer worked - they may be when I was uninstalling/reinstalling the software.

OK, now to try ripping with WMP. Can't do that, don't see a menu choice to rip. All I see is to copy, which I can do without a problem.

So now I tried RealOne. Selected the first track to rip as mp3 format, and I got a message that it couldn't do it because the CD drive had a generic driver. It suggested installing a new driver (didn't get the name, 4 letters I think, beginning with an 'A'), I said OK, RealOne downloaded and installed the driver, then rebooted the PC. Now I try ripping in RealOne and it works. I play back the MP3 and it sounds fine.

So now I go back to MJ, thinking maybe the driver was the problem. But in MJ, I still get the same error message.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped, but I don't think it's a bad CD drive, since I can play audio from all my programs (MK, WMP, Real) and rip mp3's from RealOne.

Eric

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 06:44:22 pm »

OK...maybe it's not hardware. MJ may have got corrupted somehow. Have you done the uninstall>reboot>reinstall routine yet. Back up your license & library first. You could also try using external ASPI (by unchecking "Use Internal ASPI" in Settings>Options>CD Writer settings). Make sure your ASPI is up to date. It's kind of a long shot...but who knows...it may work. WMP9 can cause problems, as well as old versions of Nero...FYI...ICYDK.

10-27

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 07:02:10 pm »

Ok, I just did the uninstall>reboot>reinstall. No improvement. Also tried unticking the 'use internal aspi' - no change. The WMP is verion 7.10. No nero program installed.

How do I check that my aspi is current?

Anything else I might try?

Eidolon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 07:02:35 pm »

I used to get these messages all the time.  The problem isn't MJ, it's your CD drive.

You can sometimes get the program to keep moving by choosing Digital Secure, but I'll bet you money you find small audio defects in your rips.

Like you, everything worked fine for me at first.  But I started ripping my whole collection and soon started getting these errors.  I changed rip methods and kept going only to find everything from A to H (Art Bears to Henry Cow specifically - really strange coincidence) had small audio defects.

Sorry, but IMO your looking at a new CD drive.  I replaced mine and haven't had a problem since.

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 07:18:22 pm »

The thing that bothers me is that I can rip with RealOne but not with MJ. If it was hardware, I would expect it to not work with any software.

If it is hardware, does it make sense that the CD works with one program and not the other? And that I can play audio (not rip to mp3) with MJ?

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 05:18:15 am »

To check ASPI, use aspichk.exe. You might as well just go to the Adaptec site, download and install it (v4.7.1.2). Make sure MJ IS NOT running during install. I'm out of ideas..but the auto reboot sounds like hardware again given your running rock solid W2k.

10-27

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 05:34:52 am »

Go to the devices settings page in MJ and try both the "IDE" and "ASPI" drive type settings to see if either help the ripping problem. If not, try installing a new aspi layer. The instructions are on this page:

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/aspi.html
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

GuysInCT

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 08:09:59 am »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the link above, and downloaded (and installed) the aspi 4.7.1.2. That did the trick. Now in MJ I notice a new entry in the CD type drop down list - before it was just IDE or SCSI, now ASPI also shows up. I choose this, and also have digital source checked, and all works fine.

I've now ripped three CDs and listed to 1 ripped version in its entirety, and it sounds great.

Thanks to all of you for your many suggestions and patience. This is a great forum!

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up