INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC Need An Internet Connection  (Read 2234 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Does MC Need An Internet Connection
« on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:44 am »

Hi

For a variety of reasons I want to set up a network for media that is not connected to the internet . Will this work?

I know some features of MC require a connection such as Theatre View for the rotating pictures, but I am uncertain if other "internals" depend on a connection.

I want to simply run MC on a PC to a router and have a music network completely independent of everything outside. It will probably be only for music but may later extend to video too

Will this make any difference to how MC behaves ??

Cheers

Mike

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Does MC Need An Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:02:40 am »

MC needs to download components when it is upgraded, and sometimes when you play a new format or type of media file.

But if you have it connected to the internet for upgrades and updates, then play a sample of all the media types you are going to use with it, then all components would be downloaded and you could disconnect from the internet.

After that, if you ever see a message about trying to download components, or an error because MC couldn't, you will know you need to connect to the internet again and re-try to do what you were doing.

So, yes, you can run MC without it being connected to the internet, but you may hit some issues along the way, which you will need to be aware of and account for. Plus you should turn off background pictures, Cover Art downloads and such where that is possible.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:01:25 am »

Thanks for that . I knew about the component downloads , they don't happen too often

My plan is to get all tagging done on an internet connected PC before copying to the Media Server

I am very wary of telephone line connections after a lightening strike zapped all my Hi Fi last year, but I do want to work on a hard wired network

Cheers

Mike

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:16 pm »

I'm no expert, but the zap probably came in through your power lines, rather than the telephone line.

You can get isolating gear for all connections though, if it is of great concern, and worth the money. Although gas and water pipes would still be a possible conduit for lighting, depending on location, soil, moisture levels etc. I think power isolators capable of stopping a lightning strike would be expensive.

Insurance is your only real protection though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up