INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 going to sleep when I start JRiver with Universal Remote  (Read 2339 times)

thane108

• World Citizen

I recently upgraded to JMC 22.  Since then I'm having issues with my PC going to sleep when I use my universal remote to start JRiver (at my TV in the adjacent room).

I have sleep turned off everywhere I kind find it in Window 10 power settings.

We did have a windows 10 update recently - is it just that there is a code my universal remote is sending that Windows 10 is interpreting as "go to sleep" - or could JRiver in some way be causing the issue?

1)  Let me know if you think it has to be the remote control and not JRiver.
2)  Is there someway to just turn off the sleep command - I never use it - beyond changing the time to "never" in all the power settings?

Suggestions appreciated.

Perseverance wins out in the end!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 10 going to sleep when I start JRiver with Universal Remote
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:46:09 pm »

It is unlikely to be JRiver. Look into the software your universal remote uses.

I suspect what is happening is that your remote is set to toggle power on the PC, rather than turn it on. So what is happening is that the PC has woken up for some reason before you start trying to use JRiver, and when you press the button turn everything on, your remote software toggles the power off for the PC.

Many remotes just use the toggle power command rather than a specific "Turn on" and "Turn off" command. However, many also support the turn on/off commands. For example, my Harmony 880 supports both the toggle power and power on/power off commands. I have it set to always use power on and power off, so that if the PC is already awake, it just gets a power on command, which does nothing. When I finish with JRiver, the power off button on the remote always powers off (sleeps actually) the PC and turns off other components, so if it has gone to sleep while the TV and Receiver are still running, and I wish to turn those components off, pressing the same power off button on the remote just sends a power off command to the PC, which also does nothing.

I think you will find that is what happening to you. With the upgrade to Windows 10 your PC is probably coming out of sleep more often, checking for updates and so on, so the problem with using the power toggle command instead of the power on/off command will be more obvious.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

thane108

• World Citizen
Re: Windows 10 going to sleep when I start JRiver with Universal Remote
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:05:18 am »

Thanks, Roderick -

I messed around and removed "sleep" from the windows menu and also turned off hibernation - that seems to have done the trick.

No idea what changed to start the issue . . .

If it comes back I'll take a look at the remote settings per your post.
Perseverance wins out in the end!
Pages: [1]   Go Up