INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prevent JR from "Being on top" in theater view  (Read 2191 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Prevent JR from "Being on top" in theater view
« on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:42 am »

I'm trying to make it easier to switch between programs on my HTPC.  In order to do this, I installed dexpot virtual desktop manager, and assigned different applications to particular desktops.  Dexpot is an application that allows windows to run programs in memory (I believe) and assign them to various virtual desktops.  It is kind of like task view for windows ten but Dexpot is an improvement because it lets the programs actually run a virtual machine rather than providing a UI to emulate a virtual desktop environment (I'm assuming this is what Windows 10 task view does but I would have to confirm).  I want to be able to easily switch between Hulu, Neflix, and JRiver using these virtual desktops.  That's not to say that I expect each of them to run side by side on the same physical machine but at least I can easily browse all three this way because they each stay alive in their own environment.  My problem right now is that with JRiver in theater view, it wants to pop up on Hulu's desktop for instance, and I am thinking this is because it always wants to stay on top of other applications in theater view.  How do I change this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Prevent JR from "Being on top" in theater view
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 09:17:09 am »

Have you tried just using windows 10's virtual desktops?  Because theater view just quietly stays on it's own desktop that way without interfering with what's happening on other desktops.

What you're describing is almost certainly a quirk of your desktop manager (it is inadequately isolating the virtual desktops), but I'm not familiar with it so I can't test.  I'm also confused about you "not expecting them to run side by side on a physical machine"?  How else would virtual desktops run?

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:25:40 am »

a better way to say that is I'm not going to be playing videos from each at the same time.  With windows task view, I couldn't do that but with Dexpot, I can run a hulu video, then switch to jriver and the hulu video keeps running on the other desktop, I.E. I can still hear the Hulu audio when I switch to jriver.  In windows task view if I do that, Hulu will stop playing. 

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:44 am »

I've tried playing around with the jump to settings under behavior but maybe there is something I missed.  It only "keeps jriver on top" back while jriver is in theater view but not standard view, which is why I think I can solve this in jriver settings somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up