INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Ease of Use Suggestions?  (Read 12295 times)

nila

Re: Any Ease of Use Suggestions?
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2003, 04:59:57 pm »

yeah - looked at like that it'd be a great way to easily control the playing now - double click adds new songs - if you realise you dont want what you have there - click the button and start double clicking again

zevele10

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2003, 02:36:35 am »

Again ,maybe i'am messing the right setting

In Properties.
If you do not have all the columns you can get to view in the right windows set.

The only way to see all infos concerning the track is to set to 'All categories'
Of cause you get all concerning other medias as well.
And ,again ,it is not friendly user.

I think that there is a need for a 'see all infos for a music file', ONLY i mean.

Yes ,more or less like in MC9

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2003, 03:25:18 am »

There must be an easier way of saving lyrics, notes etc than having to remember to click on another file first.
The button says 'Save', it should say 'Click to put the text in the property, then click on another file to save it.'

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2003, 06:28:42 am »

Zev,

In the latest build of 9.1 there is an option to show the same properties as selected in the main list view columns. Sinces these are persistant you can set views for music with music properties only and for images with images properties only.

JRiver,

That's a step in the right direction. However there's two things that, I think, would make things a bit better especially for new users:
1 - The dialog (RMC / Select visible columns) to set the column visibilty is difficult to use. Each time you select/deselect a column you have to RMC again. So it's one RMC/scroll per column you want to add/remove. A dialog window with checkboxes would be, IMHO, easier to use.

2 - The columns header in the list view displays the "display name" for the properties as specified in Options/Tree and view../Library field/edit while the property pane displays the name of the property (the tag name). When the Display name and the property name are not the same, it is difficult to know wich column correspond to which property. I think they should both use the same value (Display name logically).

voilà encore 2 centimes,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2003, 07:44:33 am »

Zev,

In the latest build of 9.1 there is an option to show the same properties as selected in the main list view columns. Sinces these are persistant you can set views for music with music properties only and for images with images properties only.

-=-=-=
This i know.
But it is not a good solution.
If you want to see all infos ,you have to over crow your right window.
And ,yes ,i know that you can  scroll to the  right and have most of them not under your eyes.

Still ,i think that an option to show in track info 'music info' only ,or pictures infos only  not link to the view colums  would be of great help for new and not new users.

I just put everything i found making things complicated or 'not clear' .
Now ,of cause ,i really do not know if  my ideas are worth beyond my own confort , and if they are easy  or not to built.
Not my problem ,again i just try to help and say what some 'ex-users' told me , never posting about it, and what i feel.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2003, 09:28:46 am »

i have a comment on the tagging mode..
make it optional to switch between quick tag icon and the checkbox. coz checkboxes does not appear in some skins and dont have any option on the main.xml to change its colors to adjust it!..

thanks...
Tamer

Cmagic

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2003, 11:00:52 am »

Y., I understand.

It is true that if you want to only see the fields of your choice (e.g. Music properties) you end up with a large number of columns in the list view.

The ultimate solution would be to have the freedom to group the fields under the category of our choice like we've asked a number of times - with some renaming of categories too. For example we could have a category named Music (presently Audio) with all the specifics fields like Genre, BPM, replay gain, Bios, Lyrics, etc plus custom Music fields like label, studio, etc..
Likewise we could have a category named Images (presently Display ?) with fields like People, Places, Events, Dimensions, Height, Width, etc..

As it is today the Music or Images related fields are spread among different categories (Calculated, General, Audio, Display, Extended ) and are un-movable? It is not very logical.

Fields are presently grouped according to the their type while they should be grouped according to their meaning (semantics)

Don't you think so ?

C.

Listening to: 'Saturday Night Fish Fry' from 'Heavy Love' by 'Buddy Guy' on Media Center 9.0
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2003, 11:28:17 am »

Cmagic - that's what I've been DYING for :)

It's the perfect solution :)

zevele10

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2003, 11:59:38 am »

This is very interesting.

On one side you have one quite lost in MC jungle , a little  upset by this and he wants just to be able to remove what he does not need.This is me

On another side you have one who feels more confidant using MC , still thinking it is a little messy.
And he finds a way to solve the problem by just"rearanging' things.  By far the best solution- Here is CMagic and some others.

I spoke about greek philosophes with JimH few hours ago.  And here we are, there is nothing to change, just to be able to rearange things in another way.  But the same things inside the same frame.

I do think it is much difficult that 'built new' [ or think you built new] in real life.

But, maybe it is easy in the software world.

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2003, 12:05:14 pm »

I have one SIMPLE request.

Make "PLAY button" work as the same as right-click -> play.

If I wanna play entire album, I will select album.  So, please stop playing all of songs in the album or musician although I selected only few songs.  It drives me crazy.

Cmagic

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2003, 12:15:04 pm »

I spoke about grec philosophes with JimH few hours ago.

Greek philosophers ? That's right. Everything finally ends up with a few very simple thoughts that some smart people had written some centuries ago.

Do you know that my avatar is a comic representation of epicurus a man whose philosophy goes far beyond the simple fact of "enjoying life first" ?

But it suits me well. Let's enjoy life while we can.

Bonne soirée.

Christian

Now Playing :

On MC 9

Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2003, 12:27:53 pm »

That's right. Everything finally ends up with a few very simple thoughts that some smart people had written some centuries ago.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

very few SIMPLE throughts....SIMPLE ???

Mon cher CMagic you are a genious !
Or i'am definitively not better that my avatar.....

Je plaisante ,mais tu y vas fort...

Listening to: '10:15 Saturday Night' from 'Three Imaginary Boys' by 'The Cure' on Media Center 9.1

Cmagic

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2003, 12:39:09 pm »

Ben, Yon c'est peut-être le verre - ou deux je ne me souviens plus ? - de calva que je viens de prendre.  :P

/might be the glass - or two - of Calvados I just had.

(A little explanation here. Calvados is a spirit made from the distilation of cider. It is mainly made in Normandy although they produce some in Britanny.
It is.... hmmm... very tasty with a very nice apple flavour)

About your avatar, Zev, I prefer not having a chat with him !!! He looks lke he will not appreciate saturday night philisophy around a bottle of calva !..

Ciao for now, my friend,

C.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2003, 12:44:52 pm »

Do not drink too much Calva.
It will make you speed and have a very agitated sleep.
Like white wine.

But ,yes i really would like to drink some right now...

Listening to: 'Do It Clean' from 'Songs to Learn and Sing' by 'Echo and the Bunnymen' on Media Center 9.1

By the way ,today i'am listening to only mpc i got from a friend .
Merde ,y'a pas photo avec les autres formats....

V-Man

Quick Play menu enhancement
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2003, 12:38:40 am »

I have to navigate too many submenus to get to where I want, it needs to be more configurable. As it is, 'Quick Play' is not 'Quick' enough.  :P

For example, I almost always navigate from Quick Play, through 'Media Library', through 'Complete Albums' (my own View Scheme), then to whichever Artist. I would like to be able to set the Quick Play menu 'root' to be whatever node in the navigation tree I want (ie most often use.

The easiest way I can think to implement it is as follows. If whilst navigating the Quick Play menu, you Shift-click an item, then in future, that item becomes the 'root' of the Quick Play menu (perhaps a confirmation dialog should be shown first). To undo this customization, simply Shift-click the Quick Play menu item itself, and it wil revert to showing all root items (ie Media Library, Playlists, Smartlists etc). For completeness, this option should also expose itself in the Options dialog as a checkbox.

nila

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2003, 05:12:34 am »

One thing I think would make a lot of sense is the 'playing now' area.

Currently there are a bunch of new 'tools' appended to the right click menu when in playing now.

I think it'd make it a LOT easier to use if these tools were all put on the 'location' bar as default as that way the user will instantly be aware of the fact they exist without having to do any work or know anything - they will just be there, in his face - as options he can use.

jleerigby

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2003, 09:21:20 am »

One thing I think would make a lot of sense is the 'playing now' area.

Currently there are a bunch of new 'tools' appended to the right click menu when in playing now.

I think it'd make it a LOT easier to use if these tools were all put on the 'location' bar as default as that way the user will instantly be aware of the fact they exist without having to do any work or know anything - they will just be there, in his face - as options he can use.

Absolutely.  This would satisfy my earlier suggestion in this thread to provide a button to clear playing now just for those less computer literate users that don't know about or are frightened of the right mouse button.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2003, 04:16:35 am »

1) I agree with most here that showing the Media Library tree and the panes at the same time is confusing.

I believe tree sorting is easier for the beginners and shoud be the default.  

Pane sorting is more powerful and should be an option for power users.  However, once pane soring is selected the tree should only include the key actions (Playing Now, Media Library, TV tuner, etc. ...).  It should not display sorting schemes, since that is the function fo the panes.  Perhaps, Media Library should expand to Image libraray, video library and music library as some suggested before.

2) I also agree with showing buttons in the drop down menues.

3) Continuous, suffle and DSP buttons should be more prominent.

4) New users don't know about the target, some sort of a pop up that explains it's funcion would helpful.  Maybe activated by hovering a mouse over it.

5) Selective Text for some buttons.

6) I suggest a poll to sellect default buttons for the tool bar, and organizing them better.

7)Double clicking the bar in Hairstyle should switch back to Mega-Me.

8 ) Auto importing media like WMP9 is a good feature.

9) Real time Fast Forwarding and Rewind with audio and video feedback is wat most people expect when they hold the Fast Forward and Rewind button.  WMP9 even has playback  at 2x and 4x.

10) Crashes are very offputting for beginners, so stability should be a priority.

11) I think Interact is great but there is no commitment from JRiver to answer all support requests from paying customers within reasonable time.   Most of the time questions get answered, but they are occasionally ignored.  MC is less likely to turn away novices if JRiver commits to answering all questions posted by registered customers within some period of time by e-mail as well as interact.

jleerigby

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2003, 04:30:52 am »

Real time Fast Forwarding and Rewind with audio and video feedback is wat most people expect when they hold the Fast Forward and Rewind button.  WMP9 even has playback  at 2x and 4x.

It's certainly not what I expect.  I love the way MC handles FF & RW with it's ability to smoothly fade in to the new part of the track.  It sounds so professional, not jumpy or jerky.  Why on earth would people want to hear garbled nonsense when fast forwarding?  

Most people expect to have to pull all sorts of levers when adjusting their car seat but it didn't stop Mercedes developing a button that learns your driver position.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2003, 05:27:46 am »

I love the way MC handles FF & RW with it's ability to smoothly fade in to the new part of the track.  It sounds so professional, not jumpy or jerky.  Why on earth would people want to hear garbled nonsense when fast forwarding?  

So that you know exactly where in the song you are, or which scene in a movie you want to stop at (not position in minutes or seconds).  

You can smoothly fade into a particular part of the track by sliding the position bar.  

I think the FF and Reverse buttons should serve a different funcion.

nila

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2003, 06:29:27 am »

Ok,
Here are a couple I think are VERY important.

Firstly - all the other options available for the 'properties panel' (statistics, format, image, etc).
All these are HIDDEN.
Firstly you have to realise the bottom bar is there - this can take beginners a while due to it auto hiding.
Then you have to realise that you can click on it to bring up a list of the other options that are visible for that display area.

I REALLY think this needs to be replaced with simply some tabs (either along the top or along the side) that displays all the options and that these tabs can be set to auto hide (just to please those who dont want it) but with an option to 'pin it' out so it stays always showing. - I'd personally pin it as I ALWAYS forget about these other screens and having them always visible as options would make me use them 100000 times more.

secondly - right now it IS possible to print a list of all the albums, or artist-albums that are in the library, but its almost impossible to find this feature and its a very good feature.

I think this should be brought to the surface by adding a sub-menu under 'File' - Print Library Breakdown > Albums in Library, Artist - Albums in library

Right now we have to change the screen to statistics first then check the options to be able to do this.

They're both areas where there are great features that are just a bit too well hidden.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2003, 06:54:00 am »

@JLee
yes, yes, yes !
I am completly with you.
I made good expierences with application which can be used with a touch screen. They must be very easy to use: no right click, no long menu trees, no keyboard...
Yes of course, sometimes you need other interfaces, but not for the first level of using: searching and playing

So try to make an application wich can be used easily by Touch screen :)

Flobalob

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2003, 07:45:01 am »

Two things where 9.1 is worse than 9.0...

To expand a tree in tree view in 9.1, you have to hit the little plus sign exactly whereas in 9.0, the plus sign and the whole adjacent word was the target area. Seems like a small thing but I know a lot of us are using wierd pointing devices. The bigger the target the better.

Also, (I've mentioned this before),the Windows 'auto-hide-task-bar' feature will not work when 9.1 is the active window. This is annoying. It means you have to either minimize MC or do the ctrl-esc shortcut to get access to the task bar.

One more thing, I'm sure you guys already know that the client side of Media Server cannot see cover art when it is inside the file.

gkerber

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2003, 08:07:12 am »

Two things where 9.1 is worse than 9.0...

To expand a tree in tree view in 9.1, you have to hit the little plus sign exactly whereas in 9.0, the plus sign and the whole adjacent word was the target area. Seems like a small thing but I know a lot of us are using wierd pointing devices. The bigger the target the better.

Try "auto expand tree" in options, I had the same issue, someone told me about that option. makes it work like 9.0.

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2003, 04:02:11 pm »

In my honest opinion, MC9.1's play button is most strange button in my experience with music player.  Honestly, I don't understand why jriver guys wonder why MC9.1 is hard to use.  It's just hard.  Isn't it?

- If I push play button after selecting musics, MC9.1 starts playing all musics in a group that my selected music belong to.  Why doesn't MC9.1 just play selected musics only?
- If I push play button after stop button, MC9.1 starts playing musics from the beginning.  Why doesn't MC9.1 just continues the playback of the rest?
- If I push play button after adding several musics into playing now list, MC9.1 flushs all playing now musics and starts playing the last selection.

Even big play button doesn't work what I expected, I don't doubt others won't work too.  Moreover, play button was working as what I expected for 1st and 2nd examples.  It is changed very recently.  WHY?

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2003, 04:05:53 pm »

Try "auto expand tree" in options, I had the same issue, someone told me about that option. makes it work like 9.0.

Recent MC9.1 is not working well.  If I wait until MC9.1 finishs all its work then push tree, MC9.1 expands tree.  If I push the name before MC9.1 finishs its job (redraw screen and some synchronization), MC9.1 only selects the name and never expands.

My most frustrating point.  MC9.1 never works as same as the last time.   :'(

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2003, 04:30:52 pm »

When setting up tracks for cd audio burning:  if the last track is too long and goes over the size of the cdr, I wish MC9 would give me the option to trim+fade out that track to properly fit.  Otherwise it is a HUGE pain to manually reduce it's size.

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2003, 05:35:56 pm »

- If I push play button after selecting musics, MC9.1 starts playing all musics in a group that my selected music belong to.  Why doesn't MC9.1 just play selected musics only?
- If I push play button after stop button, MC9.1 starts playing musics from the beginning.  Why doesn't MC9.1 just continues the playback of the rest?
- If I push play button after adding several musics into playing now list, MC9.1 flushs all playing now musics and starts playing the last selection.

WHY?

That is strange; why is MC9.1 doing that?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up