INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locating files on NAS remotely  (Read 1947 times)

RoyP

Locating files on NAS remotely
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:41:08 pm »

Am I able to access my music files remotely that are located on my home network QNAP NAS using MC21? I use the same laptop locally and remotely, have cloned my main (local) library and when I am remote from my home network I have tried to re-point the file path of the cloned library to my NAS but cannot see where or how to connect to it through an IP address or myqnapcloud or some other means. Remotely I can connect to the NAS through my web browser using it's public IP address and my login credentials as well as through my qnapcloud account and login credentials. I don't use the QNAP Music Station functionality for file playback, and have my hi-rez audio files stored in a completely separate folder on the NAS which locally MC accesses with no issues.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Locating files on NAS remotely
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »

Without asking lots more questions, as I don't have a QNAP to compare...

Don't use the clone library you created. Use the same library whether you are local or remote.
Set up a VPN to your Public IP Address, which means to your router, if it supports a VPN connection to it in the firmware. You will need a VPN Client application to run on your laptop. Your router supplier may provide one for free, or you will have to find one that works. Or use the VPN connection available in Windows. (See the web page I linked to on the QNAP site below for information on how to do that.)
Once connected via the VPN, you should be able to see all your LAN resources using the laptop when you are remote. Therefore, MC should run normally. You will need to check that the NAS address or drive designation is the same when connected locally and via the VPN.

If your router doesn't support a VPN connection, but the QNAP NAS does, you can set up a VPN to the NAS.
You will need to Port Forward the port that the VPN uses to connect from the outside world. As you can already see the NAS files using a web browser, the NAS probably already has port forwarding set up in your router to direct traffic sent to the external IP Address to the NAS. The QNAP Cloud function may use the same, or a different port. In fact they are probably both using the Web Server on the QNAP. However, if neither of those use a VPN connection, then you will need to set up a VPN Server on the NAS, and connect to that. Again, you may need to do Port Forwarding in your router for the VPN service. Here is a description of how to set up a VPN to a QNAP NAS. https://www.qnap.com/i/au/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=3
Once you are connected via the VPN to the QNAP from a remote location, you will at least be able to see the NAS files, if not all resources on your LAN. Again, check that the NAS address or drive designation is the same when connected locally and via the VPN.
MC should then work normally whether local or remote.

PS: You could have set up a MC Client library on your laptop and access to MC remotely, if you had a MC Server running at home. But you don't. If you did have a MC Server running locally, your laptop would always be connecting as a Client. That seems unnecessary in your situation.

PPS: While theoretically you could do any work on MC while remote, including tagging, Cover Art, moving, renaming, and copying files, building and modifying views etc. (i.e. Lots of things you can't do when using a MC Client), you probably shouldn't do all that stuff over a VPN, as you are relying on an internet connection. But it would work, unless you lost connection. Which could be bad, with partial updates to tags and files, for example.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up