INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Doubling - Always - madvr?  (Read 5722 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Image Doubling - Always - madvr?
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:45:43 pm »

Image Doubling Question, is this ok??
My card is the new 1080 and with the settings below I have no frame drops on any material.
What I want to know when Image doubling is set to Always NNED13, does one then use a lower or higher setting under Image downscaling?

I have Chroma upscaling set to NNED13 32 neurons SR 2

Image doubling set to the following..
Double luma Always 2x NNED13, 16 neurons
Double chroma Always 2x NNED13, 16 neurons
Quadruple luma Always if upscaling is needed NNED13, 16neurons
Quadruple chroma Always if upscaling is needed NNED13, 16 neurons
Ticked - Octuple luma/chroma

Image Downscaling set to
SSIM 1D strength 100%
AR relaxed
Ticked scale in linear light

Basically without any frame drops, do these settings look to be ok with Image doubling set to always?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Image Doubling - Always - madvr?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »

There is no ideal configuration for madVR, even with a 1080. All of the algorithms make tradeoffs between sharpness and artifacts. Different algorithms can work better or worse depending on your content, too, but if you only watch blockbusters on blu-ray on a 1080p TV, the difference will be minor to negligible. You really need to experiment and decide for yourself what looks best for your setup and content.

I've read that NNEDI3 creates artifacts with only 16 neurons so you probably want to avoid it. It's probably okay for chroma, but not luma. Most people prioritize doubling/scaling of luma over chroma (you are kind of doing the opposite). You can use Super XPR instead of NNEDI3 to pump up neurons on the more important doubling/scaling options.

As far as downscaling, you might want to try the 125%. Some people prefer it, others not.

-tm
Pages: [1]   Go Up