INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard drive change  (Read 1638 times)

moehop

Hard drive change
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »

I have three computer with jriver on all. Work, home, and office. All three computers have the same files. Can I simply mix and match the drives , plug and play as long as the drive letter matches what each computer is direct to look at?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Hard drive change
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

Yes and no.

Yes, the drive letters, directory structure, and file layout, if identical, should allow each computer to use all 3 drives in the same way.  MC shouldn't know the difference.

There are a few things that might hang you up and probably more I haven't thought of:

A.  If these drives are NTFS and have permissions that are specific to the primary user on each computer, MC may not have permission to read and/or write files on the drives from the other two computers.  We see this pretty frequently when someone tries to move a drive (internal) from one computer to another.  I think you can probably set global read/write permissions on all directories and files and "fix" this.

B.  Your play count data is necessarily going to be "wrong" if you are mixing and matching drives.  Ditto for [Last Played].  Probably more fields I'm not thinking of.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with this setup.  Maybe there's a different way that would accomplish your goals.  Or maybe the above is no problem and you'll get exactly what you want.  Good luck.

Brian.

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:31:02 pm »

To the OP:  Yes.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:56:41 pm »

Yes, but...

Any tagging on one PC will be a problem on other PCs until you run "Update library from tags".

Any files movements, deletes, copies, on one PC will a problem on other PCs until MC fixes broken links, assuming that is turned on. You will probably need; Fix broken links: Yes (protect files on missing drives), as long as the drive letters are always the same, and MC doesn't try to identify the specific drives. You may need to use; Fix broken links: Yes. In which case, never start MC without a drive attached.

You would want to write all tags to files, where possible, and keep Cover Art next to the files. Then for music and movies, Cover Art should be fine, next to the media file or in tags, but TV Series, Season, and Episode Cover Art isn't going to work, unless you change the default Cover Art directory to be on the same disk, and in the same place on each disk.

There may be some other tags that will display unexpected results, such as Bookmarks and Playback Info. But mostly they should be fine.

Mostly you should be fine, but it would be better if the disks were matched to the PCs, for the above reasons, and Brian's.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up