INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can no longer invoke external program in theatre view  (Read 3862 times)

Mark Robertson

• Recent member
Can no longer invoke external program in theatre view
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:53:49 am »

Hi there

Just upgraded to 22 and can't seem to launch a browser using from theatre view anymore. Settings are the same as I had in 21. I'm launching Firefox straight into the Netflix main page. It's always worked up till now. Anyone else seeing this? I'm using Windows 10.

Cheers

Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can no longer invoke external program in theatre view
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:44:12 am »

I just set my MC to launch Firefox from Theater View and it worked great.

Not sure what might be happening.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mark Robertson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:42 am »

Hmmm... Odd. I've tried reinstalling but still no luck. Let's see what the next update brings...

jhansen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »

Hello,
 I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd try this first instead of starting a new thread. I'm very new to this, and am attempting to launch FireFox from theater view in MC. I set up the menu item and the path. Everything launches great from theater view, until I exit all the way out of JRiver and re-launch the app, or if I do a system restart. If I go back into tools - options - theater view, do a quick browse, select firefox.exe, open and OK. It works again. Am I missing a toggle to retain the settings on restart? I've tested with other .exe files and they seem to be retained after an exit or a system restart.

Thanks in advance for any help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:24:30 pm »

When using MC in a Client/Server setup, you must configure Theater View on the machine acting as the server. Any changes made on a client copy of MC are lost when the client restarts.

The same rule applies to all Media Views.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jhansen

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:05:24 pm »

Thank you for the reply. I will dig into this when I'm back in front of the machine tomorrow. I'm running everything on one machine, I will double check my configuration. It's weird because when I look at the external app launch config area, everything is there and correct. I just have to hit the browse button, and select the same .exe file that is already in there, hit OK and all is well.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.

jhansen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:27 pm »

I did some further testing on this, and here are my findings:
1. I set the external app link to launch a different application. That one continues to work after restarting JRiver, or restarting the whole system.
2. I created a batch file to launch firefox.exe, and that has the same behavior as when I point directly to the location of the firefox.exe file. All works fine until I restart JRiver, or the computer. The batch file did bring up some problems with focus, and returning to jriver after closing firefox. However that is a moot point, since it's not really proven to be a solution yet.
3.The other button I created holds fine. It's a quick button to launch into live TV. It was created as an external app launch as well, pointing to c:\windows\system32\MC22.exe w/ command line arguments of /mcc 30002. That one works continually after a restart of JRiver or the system.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it works and retains the setting with another app in the same directory as firefox.

This installation is on one machine, like I said, I'm new to this. There is definitely the possibility that I have configured something wrong in set up.

jhansen

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »

Anyone have any help for me on this, or would it be better if I started a new topic?  Sorry, not sure what the best path to a resolution is.

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:09 pm »

I don't know the answer. That's weird.

Have you tried deleting the entry entirely and making a new one from scratch? With a different name too?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:41:54 am »

I don't know the answer to your problem - but I have learned that you should not put any programs in the Windows system32 folder (except those that install themselves there). I had a program (mc2xml.exe) for TV schedules and I put it in the system32 folder and had the same issues you describe trying to run it via windows task scheduler. I then created a new folder on the C:\ diver for it, and it ran fine from there.
So if your batch file or exe file was put in the system folder buy you, try moving it to a different location.

jhansen

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 02:40:10 pm »

Thank you both for the replies. I tried multiple different things, based on your responses.
I tried renaming the entry, deleting and recreating from scratch and different locations of the target application. The application is outside of the system32 directory. It's actually on an i: partition that we map. I've used another application that is in the same directory and it works as it should, even after exiting, re-opening and/or restarting. I've tried utilizing separate shortcuts, and batch files located in nearly every imaginable location on the computer.

This one definitely has me stumped. Very frustrating since it does exactly what I want it to do right up until I close JRiver or restart the computer.

This is on the server machine too.

Thanks for your suggestions though. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know. This is the only piece that is causing me problems now. Everything else is right on track.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up