INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS - iPad - bluetooth speakers using Gizmo?  (Read 4292 times)

sbri

• Recent member
NAS - iPad - bluetooth speakers using Gizmo?
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:22:42 pm »

I use JRiver with music files ( FLAC ) stored on a NAS  ( Seagate Central using DLNA ) and  a run via  USB from my PC to a DAC and then to the Pre Amp and Amp.
Have been a purchaser of JRiver more many years.
Alternatively I sometimes use for its ability to use outside :
NAS -----> Apple iPad mini ----- bluetooth to Logitech UE Megaboom speakers.
The iPad uses mConnect HD App ( or 8Player or any number of Apps )
mConnect and the other Apps are not as "friendly" as Gizmo or the Media Centre applications ( in my opinion ).
Is Gizmo ( or does JRiver ) have a similar App to simply use instead of mConnect etc
so that all that needs to be active is the NAS, the iPad and the bluetooth speakers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NAS - iPad - bluetooth speakers using Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 12:20:58 am »

Both JRemote and Gizmo can play to the player itself (the app), so you can connect to your PC and play to JRemote or Gizmo.  From there, you just need Bluetooth to work.

sbri

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:50:22 am »

So you need a PC involved?
Only want this for audio muisc files ( FLAC or ALAC or mp3 etc )
Just wanted to have only the NAS---> iPad ( or Android phone ) ----> bluetooth speakers just like when mConnect is used.
Unfortunately, if a PC is needed as well it is not simplistic or portable enough.
If Apps like mConnect or 8player or the like can do it I am surprised JRiver doesn't have an option that just runs on iPad.
Something
Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:19:10 am »

If the NAS is a QNAP, some of the models can run MC directly in which case you could run Gizmo or JRemote to playback to the bluetooth from your iPad.

JRemote and Gizmo are NOT DLNA controllers or renderers. They need a copy of MC running to be useful.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:18 am »

Unfortunately, if a PC is needed as well it is not simplistic or portable enough.

Why?  It's just another device.  It's not like you're going to take your NAS to the beach, or in your car with you. 

Brian.

sbri

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »

Simply because maybe I do not want to:
1. Have my PC on all the time or introduce any more latency than needed.
2. The NAS ( with 3TB of FLAC / ALAC ) / iPad and speaker  is portable and I can take it elsewhere ie to someone else's place ( PC not that portable)
3. Main use at home is out near the pool / backyard...wireless quality good..bluetooth's has distance limitations.
4. Because that's what I want to do.
Do it now but have to use an inferior player(s) to MC ( IMO ) so was thinking maybe because I have been paying you guys for several
years for the MC that just maybe you would have come up with something that simply does the job like the other apps I mentioned but a little bit better.
Seems to be a reason why other developers do it and instead of me paying for apps just to try and see how they perform try and stick with MC format.
Like I said not expecting it to do all the bells and whistles of MC just audio for FLAC/ ALAC and mp3 etc with a decent presentation and sound quality.
If JR is not interested so be it..
Just asking the question, that's all.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 05:49:17 pm »

Just for clarity, I do not work for JRiver, or represent them in any way at all.  My question was because I see this type of request from time to time and I wondered why you wanted it.  I don't understand all the nuances of your reply, but that's ok.

Good luck in your project.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »

Certainly fine to ask the question.
We don't what you are looking for now. Perhaps in the future...

sbri

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »

Just for clarity, I do not work for JRiver, or represent them in any way at all.  My question was because I see this type of request from time to time and I wondered why you wanted it.  I don't understand all the nuances of your reply, but that's ok.

Good luck in your project.

Brian.

Thanks for the responses..will continue to look elsewhere...maybe one day JRiver will have something. 8)
Brian, was not really directing my last post at you personally, so no animosity from me meant  :)
By the way...your comment on nuances ... did you mean acronyms?
If so the only one that's not really usually in an audio arena is IMO = In My Opinion
Thanks again.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 06:23:37 pm »

By the way...your comment on nuances ... did you mean acronyms?

No, I meant your exact use cases.  Like in the back yard with BT and wifi.  Seems like that would be the same whether you were using NAS directly or with a PC involved.  Then the "portable NAS" was really surprising to me as most "real" NAS boxes are pretty big.  Maybe you have a single drive router/NAS or just a NAS with one drive or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can really help with your request other than to wish you good luck.  Good luck.  :)

Brian.

sbri

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »

The NAS is a Seagate Central.. I know relatively cheap but has worked well for me over the last 3 years to deliver audio files.
So maybe it does not fit your "real" definition of a NAS,  but it has reliably done the job for me.
It is light and can be powered up at another location if necessary ( that has mains and WiFi , maybe at another persons home).
I have only taken the NAS / iPad and speakers few times to another location but it is a good option to have.
Have two of these NAS. One is only used as a backup.
Wireless and Bluetooth mentioned because the audio files are delivered to the iPad via wireless the the iPad communicates with the speakers via Bluetooth.
Yes the PC and iPad can use Bluetooth and wireless but the iPad is more portable than the PC ( don't have a laptop PC ).
Only hardware that needs to be on it the Cable modem/router, the NAS, the iPad and the UE MegaBoom speakers.
The modem / router WiFi covers all of my indoor and outdoor areas.
Backyard... the area at the back of a house that has grass etc...think in the USA its called maybe a back garden..?
Other option I have is to just use a mobile phone and just use Bluetooth between the phone and speaker. Limitation here is
amount of data I can store on the phone.
Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »

Wireless and Bluetooth mentioned because the audio files are delivered to the iPad via wireless the the iPad communicates with the speakers via Bluetooth.
Yes the PC and iPad can use Bluetooth and wireless but the iPad is more portable than the PC ( don't have a laptop PC ).

Hmm.  Maybe you're not aware of how JRemote, Gizmo, and other remotes for MC operate.  All of them can play to "this device".  So, you make a connection from JRemote to MC on your PC.  This goes via your wifi.  Now, you tell JRemote "play to this device".  That makes it play locally to the ipad.  Connect the ipad via BT to your speakers and you're done.  You have music streaming to the BT speakers via the ipad, coming from MC with all of it's various views and capabilities.

Gizmo (free) and EOS (paid) both do this too.  But they only run on Android, not IOS.

I know what a back yard is.  :)

Brian.

sbri

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 07:20:01 pm »

Thanks Brian..but I guess the main problem is that I do not want to have a PC involved powered up at all
if its not really required.
In the NAS/iPAD/Bluetooth speaker senario its not ( but I have to use another App )
Ok think we can close this off now.
Thanks, appreciate your responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up