INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing cover art  (Read 2759 times)

Donmc

• Recent member
Missing cover art
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:46:00 pm »

Why do some albums simply refuse to accept any cover art? I have purchased an 80 CD set.  About 70 of them accept the cover art but the remaining ones do not register the cover art at all.  Is there a fix for this?

Castius

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing cover art
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:01:13 am »

I think we need a bit more information.
What cover art won't save to start.
And what steps you are makes to try to save your cover art.

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »

I have a collection of about 1300 CD's that I have ripped to Media Center 21.  I typically rip them to wav files. About 30 of them will not accept cover art.

By that I mean when I copy cover art from a variety of sources (my own scan, the internet, etc.) to the clip board and then right click on the album and click on Cover Art and then "Paste from clipboard" nothing happens.  This has worked successfully for 1270 of them but not these 30. 

One example is the album "The Very Best of the Guess Who".

The examples I mentioned before are the Sony 80 CD set of the Leonard Bernstein Edition: Concertos and Symphonic Works.  10 of them won't accept any cover art. For a few others the wrong cover art appears but I can't change it other than removing it.

It is interesting that when I went back just now, I was able to attach cover art to some of those albums that refused to accept it before with the exceptions of the Guess Who album and some of the Leonard Bernstein CD's.

Under Options/File Location/Cover Art, I have selected Audio mode: In the same folder as the file and checked Also store image in the file's tag.

Does this help explain it?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:06:47 pm »

First of all, you are not going to be able to store cover art in the file tags if that is your intent. WAV does not support tags.

Secondly, the most plausible reason this is not working is due to filename length limitations in Windows. Since you have chosen to store the cover art next to the file, if the directory path is too long, MC won't have sufficient characters left to store the cover art.

I would suggest you do one or two things:

1. Convert all your music to FLAC and store the cover art in the tags

or

2. Create a dedicated cover art directory near the root of your drive (i.e. C:\Cover_Art) and tell MC to store the images there

Option 3 is to change your file structure so that you don't reach the length limitation, although that's not a guaranteed fix, especially if you are into jazz and classical pieces with complex naming schemes.

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »

Thanks for your help. Good points about WAV and the filename length limitations in Windows

I decided to opt for #2 but the same albums will still not accept cover art.  I suspect it has to do with truncated filenames.  As you point out many classical albums have very long file names. 

While I could try to change the file structure, that hasn't worked for me in the past so I let MC truncate the names. Does it make sense that that could be the cause of the problem?

If so, it would be nice if I could just edit the file names directly.   

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »

I tried editing the file names directly to shorten them and, so far, it seems to be working.

Don.

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 12:10:07 pm »

I was wrong.  It worked for one album but not for the rest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up