INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Zone Switch also change focus?  (Read 2488 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can Zone Switch also change focus?
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:19:14 am »

I'm using WDM and have zone switch set up. One thing I'd love to see to make it a little more seamless is for the focus to change to the new zone on switching.

Example: I'm watching TV using the 'Player's zone, then stop and start playing Netflix from chrome. I want to adjust the volume, but the focused zone in MC is still player, so I have to go back into MC, change the focussed zone to the IPC zone, then adjust volume...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Can Zone Switch also change focus?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:44:49 am »

I'm using WDM and have zone switch set up. One thing I'd love to see to make it a little more seamless is for the focus to change to the new zone on switching.

Example: I'm watching TV using the 'Player's zone, then stop and start playing Netflix from chrome. I want to adjust the volume, but the focused zone in MC is still player, so I have to go back into MC, change the focussed zone to the IPC zone, then adjust volume...

There's actually an important reason that it doesn't steal focus, as it would completely break any WDM playback with the internal browser if it did.  It's inconvenient for volume control, I agree, but if you try to play netflix or vimeo (or something similar) in the internal browser you need the focus to stay in the player zone, or the UI would switch away from the video you're watching, stopping playback altogether.  It creates an unsolvable loop with any attempt to use the internal browser for playback.

I was big advocate for making it not steal focus during beta for that reason. 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 01:34:03 am »

Which probably then goes to the request Glynor, I and others have posed, that content played from the internal browser gets sent to Playing Now. (Or at the least it would be great to have the option for zone switch to change focussed zone).

RD James

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 04:37:30 am »

There's actually an important reason that it doesn't steal focus, as it would completely break any WDM playback with the internal browser if it did.  It's inconvenient for volume control, I agree, but if you try to play netflix or vimeo (or something similar) in the internal browser you need the focus to stay in the player zone, or the UI would switch away from the video you're watching, stopping playback altogether.  It creates an unsolvable loop with any attempt to use the internal browser for playback.

I was big advocate for making it not steal focus during beta for that reason.  
I think the phrasing "steal focus" is making this confusing.
What I think imugli means is to make zone switch set your WDM zone as the active zone so that it responds to remote inputs for example.
As an option, I think it would be useful to have.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:16:09 am »

This. Sorry if my language confused. 🙁
Pages: [1]   Go Up