INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: skipping to the next track after going backwards on a track  (Read 2507 times)

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
skipping to the next track after going backwards on a track
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:18:38 pm »

Play a playlist of multiple tracks. Track 1 plays. Pause it. Move the playback slider backwards. The next track (2) starts to play instead of continuing on track 1. Please fix this, or tell me of a setting that does this. Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: skipping to the next track after going backwards on a track
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:59:50 pm »

I've just tested this a few times.  My very first try, I locked MC up and it wouldn't respond.  This happens every now and then on the Mac version of MC; not often at all, but I've seen this kind of lock up happen before.

My next trials all worked as I expected.  I pulled the playback slider to various places, including the very beginning of the track.  When I pressed play, it played from that spot.

Now, I *do* know one way to make this fail.  There is a "point of no return" on each song with MC.  It's something like 8 to 15 seconds from the end of the song.  Once MC reaches this "point of no return", it will not rewind at all in that song, or skip backwards.  It has loaded the next track and it will play that next track before you can do anything else (with the current track).

Indeed, if I let it get to within about 8 seconds of the end, press pause, pull back the slider, and then press play, MC happily ignores me, skips back to where it was, plays 8 seconds of the end of the song and continues to the next.  That's the only way I know to emulate the behavior you've described.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »

Now, I *do* know one way to make this fail.  There is a "point of no return" on each song with MC.  It's something like 8 to 15 seconds from the end of the song.  Once MC reaches this "point of no return", it will not rewind at all in that song, or skip backwards.  It has loaded the next track and it will play that next track before you can do anything else (with the current track).
I wish they would fix this. I run into it far more often than you might expect.
It's so frustrating to hit the "stop playback after current file" option only to have the player ignore it.

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:51 pm »

The problem occurs anytime in a track (for example, near the beginning).

The bug does not appear in the last version of MC 21, only in version 22 (i'm using 22.0.15).

If a development test group cannot replicate such a simple bug, it is a strong statement that the developers have lost control of their code base.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:08:18 am »

The problem occurs anytime in a track (for example, near the beginning).

The bug does not appear in the last version of MC 21, only in version 22 (i'm using 22.0.15).

If a development test group cannot replicate such a simple bug, it is a strong statement that the developers have lost control of their code base.

you might wanna give some more information about how you playback the files. wasapi, from memory, bitstreaming, everything you can think of that might matter. i tried to duplicate your problem with several settings and it works fine here. and no that has nothing to do with statements about loosing something. just trying to find the bug or what ever makes this happen on your machine.

i think its is the setting of the prebuffer in the settings sets the point of no return. i could be wrong.

:)
gab

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 05:23:09 pm »

Found it (thanks to your suggestion to check settings).

The problem occurs when the options to "play files from memory..." and/or "load files to memory at start..." are set. Turning off (uncheck) those options solves the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up