INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preserve Directory Structure during import  (Read 2715 times)

bklynboy70

• Recent member
Preserve Directory Structure during import
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:10:32 pm »

I've been having fun with JRiver over the last week. I know I can add library views and make them hierarchical. Then I can use filters to show only the items based on the filename (path). Via that method I can manually maintain a directory structure identical to that which was read, but this is tedious.

Is there a way for JRiver MC to do this automatically?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Preserve Directory Structure during import
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »

the rename, move copy (RMC) tool

you can select all the songs at once and move them according to nearly any rule or expression that you can use in the views

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51:51 am »

I don't think I really understand the request, but I think the Audio>Files view is what the OP is asking for Ferday.

Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to just use the File View, but it has been discussed previously, so some people do like to stick to the "old" methods.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »

I don't think I really understand the request, but I think the Audio>Files view is what the OP is asking for Ferday.

Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to just use the File View, but it has been discussed previously, so some people do like to stick to the "old" methods.

Yes, I'm looking for the File View (kinda). Then I'll switch it to "thumbnail" view. This is about 90% of where I want to be. Right now I have to click:
\\Network Store\Media Files\DVD Movies\

This preserves the directory structure (sweet - I did not notice this before). I really just want to have a Library View called "DVD Movies" that preserves the structure (no need to traverse through the beginning of the network store). Then have other for more media sub directories (audio, shows, etc.)

I'm gonna guess this does not exist since the "file view" is nearly there.

Is that a good guess?

Thank you for all the help.

Take care,

Rob

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »

Well, if I understand correctly, that should be easy.

First, copy the existing Files view to a new view and rename it. You don't want to edit or delete the original view until you are happy with your new view. You may want to keep the original anyway. You can drag and drop the Files view to the Video level in the Navigation Tree to copy it, or use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to copy and paste.

Now right click on the new view and select Customise View.
Click the "Location" Category on the left and click Edit.
Browse to the \\Network Store\Media Files\ location on your file system and select that (or just copy and paste that location in), then OK, OK, out of there. You will see a warning about editing a Locked View. Just accept the changes. You could also unlock the view under the Advanced settings on the right.
Done.

Check out the new view. Does it do what you want?

You should try to read up about views a bit more though, as you can probably produce a better custom view than simply using the directory structure. But if it works for you, great.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:11:13 pm »

LOL...

Yep, you understood me 100% correctly. I know that because I successfully followed your recommendations for the modification of "Location" and everything worked perfectly... On the original Files view.

Now if I could only duplicate the original Files view... I can add a view, then Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V the Files View into it. So you end up clicking "New View->Files->Directory tree of interest".

But I can't figure out how to get it to do:
"New View->Directory tree of interest".

LOL, so close I can taste it....

There better be a way to save all this stuff when I'm done with all the configs for easy restore or duplication on another PC... Or I'm jumping off a bridge...

Thank you for all the help.

Take care,

Rob

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:27 pm »

Figured out one way to do it...

Right Click "Files View". Select "Customize View". Select "Save this view". Then click "OK" and "OK". Finally "Save as new View".

A bit long winded, but it works.

While playing around I ended up with a Green Colored library view, that I cannot delete...

Gonna have to ultimately re-install. Glad I can get this going after that...

Thank you again!!!

Take care,

Rob

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:27:11 pm »

Don't create (add) a view. Just drag the original Files view up to the "Video" top level item, drop it there, and you will get a new view under the Video top level view.

Then just rename the copy using F2 or right click and Rename.

You will get something like the attached image. I've got some junk in that test library, so I get an "Unassigned" line. You will always get the "All Locations" line, although I think there is a way to turn that off, but I can't figure it out just now. You can see my based directory is "F:\Media\", which in your case would be "\\Network Store\Media Files\".

You can save views and then load them back into the same Library or a different one. Search for posts on "saving views" by Blgentry.

PS: I think the Green Colored library view you are seeing is just a sub-component of its parent view. As above, some things can't be deleted. If the parent is wrong though, you can delete that.

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 11:02:16 pm »

OK, so I'm not totally dumb. I tried the drag and drop, like you mentioned in your original post. JRiver stops responding. I thought maybe it was just "thinking" so I gave it 20 min. Nope, it's really not responding... I have to kill the process and start it up again.

As for the green icon, yes the image you posted is exactly what I'm seeing. But its under root???

So I wanted to get it back where it belongs...

Thank you for all the help!

Take care,

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up