INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Option for Playback to NOT continue to next track  (Read 2642 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe

If this exists, please advise, I think I've looked everywhere.

When I'm working on my library -- reviewing, editing, tagging tracks, updating images, whatever, I'm usually focused on a single track. Often I play it to remind what it is, etc. Trouble is, MC then thinks I'm launching into playing all the tracks in that view. But really, I just want to play the one current track.

What I'm requesting is a way to tell MC, play the current track, then stop. An easy-to-toggle option would be ideal:
Continuous Play of Tracks (per all the settings that control this)
-OR-
Play Current Track Only

And/Or, it would be helpful to have something like this:
 Playback Option >Track Change > Switch Tracks > Play Current Track Only

PS: Obviously, when the song ends I can stab for the stop button or Ctrl+P, but that usually is right when I'm typing in the Tag window, working on an image, or whatever.

ALSO, because MC currently switches to and plays the next track, sometimes TAG WINDOW FOCUS CHANGES too, because MC doesn't know I'm typing a paragraph in the comments field -- not good. Sometimes while I'm typing something long, the track switches, and my typing continues for the next song, possibly trashing whatever text it already has. And because I'm sometimes looking elsewhere, I don't notice immediately. My workaround is to stop the song playing before I start tagging, but I'd rather not have to outguess/chase MC around.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Option for Playback to NOT continue to next track
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:43:51 pm »

Have you looked in Options under General\Behavior to see if there is a setting that can do it for you?

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »

Since you're in 'Standard View' try 'Add (play now)'. Pick the title (song) you wish to hear, right click to access the menu item 'More Play Options'. You'll find it there.

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »

Yes, that does it: Rght-click playing track > More Play Options > Play does a single-play. Thank you for identifying this rather-well-hidden option. Sorry I never guessed Play <> Play?

Lots of clicks, so of course I now request a shortcut, option or more direct way to do a single-play. (And I suggest renaming the final Play to be Play Current Track Only (or similar).

PS: No need to Add (play now). It seems that in any view, right click > More play options > Play does it.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:26:21 pm »

MC's default behavior on double click is "add all visible to Playing Now".  I understand why this is:  It's how most music players, that don't have a queue, operate under the covers.   So many new users of MC expect this to happen.  It allows them to click on one track in an album, have it play, and then be able to go to the next track with the Next button.

But for me, this behavior makes little sense; it's not how I use MC.  But, as usual, MC has options that let you control this.  Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Double Click > (choose option here)

I like "Add to playing now (play now)".  This keeps my play queue intact, but adds the clicked file right now and plays it.  For you "replace playing now (single)" probably makes the most sense.

Experiment and see what works for your workflow.

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »

As a backup (and when you're in standard view), you can always right click on the stop button and select "Stop After Current File".

That way if you inadvertently select a swag of files, you've got a means of easily achieving your needs. I use this feature a lot to call it quits when my daughter is glued to one of her shows .. how evil of me?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up