INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10, AVG, now can't access Media Center 20, which I purchased  (Read 2712 times)

broadmoor

I bought MC20 with Windows 8.1.  I really like JRiver, and there were no problems when I upgraded to Windows 10.  Recently though, 20 started to fail, stopping dead, sometimes restarting, sometimes not.  The error message I got, and still do, is that MC20 was originally installed for different OR.  I was told to reinstall MC.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times, but it hasn't helped; I still get the same error message.  Since I paid for 20, I thought I might move down to 19.  That worked for awhile, then failed in the same manner.  When I visited this forum I learned compatibility issues may exist between anti-virus and JRiver, so I went to AVG site, found how to repair it, did so, and everything worked again for awhile.  When the problem occurred again, though, I uninstalled AVG altogether, and have experienced no problems at all for almost a week.  I am however, still using 17 or 18; the error message for 20 hasn't changed, and the one for 19 tells me install wizard can't copy needed files to destination folder; I am on trial periods for 17 and 18, either of which I would be happy to keep and use, but in this state, I'll have to pay again.   How do I handle this?     

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows 10, AVG, now can't access Media Center 20, which I purchased
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:35:49 am »

As you describe it, this sounds like an antivirus problem, not an MC problem. 

Here's a thread on similar problems:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.0

Uninstall your current program as a test.

Here's how to download MC20 and re-license it:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

broadmoor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:51:07 am »

Thanks, but I have already re-licensed numerous times, hoping that because I have purchased 20, 17 and 18 would be permanently available to me, a situation with which I would be quite satisfied.  Unfortunately that hasn't worked.  I am still on trial periods.  AVG is all gone.  Should I also uninstall Windows Defender, leaving me with no anti-virus at all?

broadmoor

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:08:07 am »

I have rid myself of all traces of anti-virus, rebooted, but encounter precisely the same issue, in the same manner.  I am obviously recognized because all my music appears on 17 and 18, but somehow not noticed as a purchaser of 20. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:33:26 am »

What do you mean by "not noticed as a purchaser of 20"?  Do you mean it isn't licensed?  If so, please see the link I posted above.

broadmoor

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:48:10 am »

Sorry, that was quite unclear.  What I meant was that 17 and 18 both imported the music I had on 20, but 20 tells me I can't open it.  I am licensed. I have a registration code which I've used several times to restore license in hope of being granted permanent status for 18, but I'm still on trial period.  As stated, I don't get far enough with 20 to even apply that code.
Pages: [1]   Go Up