INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to transfer main library to NAS so can accessed by both PC and laptop  (Read 2015 times)

goberre

• Recent member

Hi Folks,

At present I am running two installations of MC for music only, one on my desktop in the office and one on my laptop in the lounge (both machines are running Windows 10 Pro and MC22). This involves maintaining two identical copies of all my 1.6TB of audio FLAC files. Each MC installation has its own main library with its own settings.

It would make my life much easier if both machines accessed the same main library and media files on a NAS. However, being 60, I am not of the digital generation and cannot figure out how to transfer my preferred MC main library to the NAS and set up both MC installations to refer to this. Transferring the media files is easy.

If this is possible I would be eternally grateful if a kind soul would outline, in jargon free terminology, the procedure I need to follow. Thanks.

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe

Us Oldies must stick together I am 66  ;D

Stepwise ...

Decide which PC is going to be "Master"
Backup your library (VITAL !!! Just In Case)
Go >Tools >  Options > Media Server >
Click the Checkbox "Use Media Network ....."
You will be led through a set of screens
One will contain an Access Key xyz123 that will be your connection code , make a note of it

Go to your "Slave Computer"
Goto File > Library> Library Manager > Add a Library
Select the top One Library Server
The Dialog will ask for the Access Key, the one above,
Enter the code and there you are. You will now be able to see, play and manage your Library from the Slave PC

Any changes you make on either end will sync ,
Go >Tools >  Options > Media Server > Client Options > Sync With server checkbox

Both PCs obviously need to be connected to the network either hard wire or wirelessly

You will find if you use just 44.1 audio wireless will be OK anything bigger you will probably need hard wire (maybe) Gigabit connection

There are lots of configurations you can make to make life easier.

You may also wish to look at JRemote either for Apple iOs or Android which allows you to control your "master" from a handheld. I use a IPad Mini for example

Hope this helps

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up