INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD Encoding  (Read 3308 times)

Nobiles

• Recent member
DSD Encoding
« on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:39 am »

Hi

I am just testing JRiver and I am quite impressed by this software so far. I have another question about DSD encoding - is someone familiar with that and have made some experience?

When I set the "Output Encoding" to DSD, my A/V receiver (connected via HDMI) shows "PCM 176,4 kHz" on its display. But there is only white noise coming from the speakers and you can hear the music in the background very quietly only. On the receiver, I have set the listening mode to "Pure Audio".

Acording to several articles in the web, my Onkyo TX-SR805 should be able to handle a DSD input stream.

MODEL:
Onkyo TX-SR805
DIGITAL DSD INPUT:
HDMI DSD input
[Supposed] Pure DSD Listening Mode:
Delay Enable set to No, DIRECT -> DSD Direct
DSD-CAPABLE DAC:
Burr-Brown PCM1796
The user manual states "In listening modes other than DSD Direct and Pure Audio, DSD sources are converted and handled as PCM."
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1230824-list-av-receivers-pre-pros-pure-dsd-analog-processing.html

So are there other setting in JRiver I have to check or is it just my A/V receiver which can not handle DSD?

Thank you and regards
Matt

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD Encoding
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:35:45 am »

I don't think DSD over HDMI is supported, sorry.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:58 am »

When I set the "Output Encoding" to DSD, my A/V receiver (connected via HDMI) shows "PCM 176,4 kHz" on its display. But there is only white noise coming from the speakers and you can hear the music in the background very quietly only.

This is a common mistake. This setting is NOT the one you use to stream DSD files to your AVR.  It's used in unusual circumstances only; like with DACs that can not decode PCM and can only accept DSD.  You want this setting set to "None".

So are there other setting in JRiver I have to check or is it just my A/V receiver which can not handle DSD?

If you want to send DSD files to your AVR as DSD to be decoded natively, you want MC to "bitstream" your DSD files.  But, as Hendrick indicated, DSD over HDMI isn't a common thing.  So it probably won't work.

The good news is, there are at least two ways you can listen to DSD files using MC and your AVR:

1.  Disable output format as above.  Then just play your DSD files.  MC will convert them to PCM on the fly and send them to your AVR.  DSD converted to PCM generally sounds very good.

2.  Connect to an external DAC, or your AVR via USB.  If your AVR can act as a DSD capable USB based DAC, then MC should be able to bitstream DSD to your AVR's DAC over USB.  Setting bitstreaming to DSD (in Audio options) should make that happen.

I'd be inclined to just do #1 above and be done with it.  It's pretty likely that your AVR's DAC converts to PCM internally anyway, so there probably aren't any real sonic benefits of sending pure DSD to your AVR.  You'd have to research that to be sure; just throwing that out there.

Brian.

Nobiles

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:31:03 am »

Ok, i fully understand now. Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up