INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Subtitles Issues & Embed External Vid Player in Display Window  (Read 5839 times)

bklynboy70

• Recent member

I'm using external player for my videos. So JRiver MC is currently being utilized as a "launcher".

Can a feature be added to embed the video from the external player in the Display window?

I'd like to get the Video Playlists to work with an external video player? (i.e. - when the first movie ends, the player currently just stops. I suspect it's because there is a lack of signaling from the external player to JRiver MC, so MC does not know the movie has ended. Can this behavior be modified to act as the built in JRiver player does, if so, can it please be added?)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Embed External Video Player into Display Window
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »

Why are you using another player?  I thought MC's video playback on Windows was world class, best of breed.

Brian.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:21:15 pm »

full bd menus maybe... I would bet

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »

JRiver does not properly display subs on some of my DVDz. MPC-HC had the same prob. I issued a problem report and they fixed it. I was hoping JRiver would display them properly, but it does not... Additionally JRiver was a bit laggy in comparison to MPC-HC. Much larger delay in coming up when "clicked" on. I could have lived with the delay, but not the subtitle issues...

I was surprised that JRiver MC, had issues. So many crappy players like: Leawoo Blu Ray Player, PowerDVD, and DVD Fab media player, handle the subs just fine...

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:49:36 am »

It sounds like you are playing DVD ISOs, or IFOs... native DVD structures?  These are an endless source of problems.  If you were using a regular file container, like MKV, you likely would have less issues.

You might do an experiment, converting one of your problematic DVDs to MKV and see if the subtitle issue goes away, or remains the same, with the new MKV file.

Brian.

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »

Yes, I am playing DVDs in the native structure with the IFOs and VOBs.

I have 5000+ DVDs. The time for switching to MKVs came and went years ago...

Thank you for the recommendation, but getting the subs fixed would be better.

Guess I'll stick with one of the other players that displays subs properly. Such a pity...

Thank you and take care,

Rob

It sounds like you are playing DVD ISOs, or IFOs... native DVD structures?  These are an endless source of problems.  If you were using a regular file container, like MKV, you likely would have less issues.

You might do an experiment, converting one of your problematic DVDs to MKV and see if the subtitle issue goes away, or remains the same, with the new MKV file.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:16:43 pm »

If you're wiling to do an experiment or two, we might learn something that would help.

Do you know what the subtitle problem is?  Why it affects some of your DVDs and not others?  You said the other player developers "fixed the problem".

Brian.

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

Yes, it affects some DVDs, but not others. I believe with other program, the subs overlapped and "flashed". With JRiver MC, they are absent.

I sent the other developers a sample, they reproduced the problem and then fixed it.

It was ticket #4032. I can provide a link if that helps, but I didn't know what I'm allowed to do of the forum so I didn't provide it yet...

Thank you for the help.

I appreciate it!

Take care,

Rob

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:12:04 pm »

Either here or in another thread dedicated to the subtitle issue, you should provide any info you have.  Including links to samples that cause the problem to appear.  A link to the other ticket, if it has details, would probably be helpful too.

Note that I'm not speaking in any official capacity.  I'm just giving some friendly advice.  JRiver will decide what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.  I'm just a customer.

Good luck with the issue.

Brian.

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:43:54 pm »

Will do, hopefully JRiver will take a look at the problem. Here goes...

The original ticket was with MPC-HC, here is the link:
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/4032

The original issue was "lingering subs". With JRiver MC, the subs are absent.

In this file, nearly all the subs are absent:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/joihf2xk2q9zgh1/Subs+Linger.zip

Since I had some problems with the file above on JRiver, so I made a second file. In this file the first occurrence I see of a missing sub is around 2min 30sec. The line is something to the effect of "Bad news little brother, they've eaten the babies". That sub is completely missing. Here is the link to the second file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sy0v2cg9z6qz453/Escape.zip

If the subs are fixed, I respectfully request to be informed, so I can revert my player back to JRiver MC. It has incredible clarity that I'd like to take advantage of.

Thank you for all the help.

Take care,

Rob

blgentry

I've just watched both of these with VLC and processed them with MakeMKV to turn them into MKV files.  They look the same in both cases; though the timing is a bit different with the IFO files.

The "escape" files made MakeMKV give a big warning that they had been processed with DVDFab and were "broken".  I'm assuming this is because you reduced the quality of these so they could be uploaded?

You're probably wondering why I didn't try the raw IFO/VOB files in MC.  It's because I use MC for Mac, which does not have DVD decoding capabilities.  MC for Mac can read any kind normal video file, but not DVD or BD structures.

After turning both of these info MKVs, MC reads them fine and displays the subtitles as I expect them.  There are only 3 total lines (subtitles) in the first video, but they seem to be on screen for the right amount of time and there is no overlap.  In the second file, I see many, many lines of subtitles, but again, no overlap, and the line at ~2:33 is definitely there.

Since you have thousands of DVD structured files, I know it's impractical to suggest that you convert them all to MKV.  What about converting a few of them?  Like these two titles.  That would seem to be a reasonable test.  How many problem files do you have?

Brian.

bklynboy70

• Recent member

Yes, I did drastically reduce the bit rate for uploading. I've probably have about 1000 of the problem videos. So that's about 20% of my library. I had no doubt at all that an MKV would work. When I play just the VOB by itself it works. I just loose all the structure info and have to highlight all the VOBs, right click, and select play... I'll convert a couple when I have a chance to confirm they work fine.  Thank you and take care, Rob

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 10:31:00 am »

Will do, hopefully JRiver will take a look at the problem. Here goes...

The original issue was "lingering subs". With JRiver MC, the subs are absent.

In this file, nearly all the subs are absent:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/joihf2xk2q9zgh1/Subs+Linger.zip

I downloaded the "Subs Linger" video and the subtitles just play perfectly for me.

I'm not sure what could be happening for you.  Are you on the latest build?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

Yes, I did drastically reduce the bit rate for uploading. I've probably have about 1000 of the problem videos. So that's about 20% of my library. I had no doubt at all that an MKV would work. When I play just the VOB by itself it works. I just loose all the structure info and have to highlight all the VOBs, right click, and select play... I'll convert a couple when I have a chance to confirm they work fine.  Thank you and take care, Rob

If you want to convert your IFOs to MKV, there is a batch converter available. I used it convert all my DVDs to MKV. There are a couple of programs available here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=10

I used this program http://www.makemkvbatch.com/

bklynboy70

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 08:18:14 pm »

I downloaded the "Subs Linger" video and the subtitles just play perfectly for me.

I'm not sure what could be happening for you.  Are you on the latest build?

Thanks.

Yes, I downloaded the last build last night and checked prior to posting the issue.

Did you launch via the IFO or the VOB?

If you launch via the VOB it works fine. I was working with another set of developers and they felt that it was DVD Navigator related. Initially they believed they could not fix it since MS DVD Navigator changes were out of their control. I did some reading today and read that JRiver used MS DVD Navigator as well. So it may be the same timing issue with DVD Navigator, which explains why it only manifests itself with IFO files and not VOBs...

bklynboy70

• Recent member

I was testing on my laptop prior to deploying to all my HTPC. I wanted to make sure the issue was not my related to my laptop. I just deployed to my Livingroom HTPC and I have the same issues.

I tested with this file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sy0v2cg9z6qz453/Escape.zip

I launched the IFO not the VOB. The following sub @2:33 is missing:
"Bad new little brother. We're too late. They've eaten the babies."

If everyone can see the subs, then I don't have a clue what going on... Especially on two computers now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and take care,

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up