INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server - Client for TV not working for me  (Read 1885 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Server - Client for TV not working for me
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:49:15 pm »

Have 3 PCs in the house.

1 Main HTPC with OTA + a Colossus hooked up to an STB to satellite with sports and specialty channels
2 Other 2 PCs with OTA capture cards serving as servers as well for recordings for the kids and wife.

2 laptops connecting as clients only.

ISSUE #1:
Just started watching the Hockey World cup and started the recording from the laptop as a client connected to the main HTPC with the colossus. Working just fine.

Then closed MC on the laptop and went to the living room on one of the other 2 PC and connected as a client to the main HTPC...Unable to watch the game getting "no card available to fulfill the request..."

Went back to the laptop to see if it was still on and connected. Nope..I got the same error message...

Went on the main HTPC and everything is fine and was able to watch the game with the recording happening...

ISSUE#2:
Another issue I keep getting (MC21-22) is I get BOTH TV recordings showing up in the TV recordings list when I connect from one of the 2 slave PCs on the main HTPC.  I always close the server on those 2PCs before connecting to the main HTPC and I get the same issue on both.

Don't even want to get into how slow channel surfing is when I'm connecting through a client for TV surfing...Buffering message and so on...It works but awfully slow...All my PCs are fairly recent and fast with dedicated nVidia cards and this was not an issue with Sage back then.

Thx

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Server - Client for TV not working for me
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »

ISSUE #1:
Then closed MC on the laptop and went to the living room on one of the other 2 PC and connected as a client to the main HTPC...Unable to watch the game getting "no card available to fulfill the request..."

Did you try to play the in progress recording, or just watch the TV channel?

Because you should have watched the in progress recording. I think that would have worked.

If you tried to watch the TV channel that the game was playing on, the MC Client would have asked the MC Server to start the channel on a new tuner, I believe. Maybe MC should check if the Server is already playing or recording that channel, and just show you that stream, but I suspect there would be issues with that, around ownership and control of the stream.

Regardless, playing the recording should have worked.

ISSUE#2:
Another issue I keep getting (MC21-22) is I get BOTH TV recordings showing up in the TV recordings list when I connect from one of the 2 slave PCs on the main HTPC.  I always close the server on those 2PCs before connecting to the main HTPC and I get the same issue on both.

I suspect that is a consequence of the way you use MC, with tuners on the Server and the Clients. There is only one installation of MC on the "Slave" PC, so you can get some strange results, as you know. I can't remember or check just now where the TV recordings list is stored. Check that out and see if it is in a location shared by both the Server version and Client version on the Slave PC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team
Re: Server - Client for TV not working for me
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:29:10 am »

Did you try to play the in progress recording, or just watch the TV channel?

Because you should have watched the in progress recording. I think that would have worked.

YES That makes total sense and I can live with this.  I think I've done this before anyway I'll try it next time.

I suspect that is a consequence of the way you use MC, with tuners on the Server and the Clients. There is only one installation of MC on the "Slave" PC, so you can get some strange results, as you know. I can't remember or check just now where the TV recordings list is stored. Check that out and see if it is in a location shared by both the Server version and Client version on the Slave PC.

Could it have something to do with the Client Options under Media Network? Should I uncheck "Play Local file if one that matches Library Server is found" or uncheck one of the other 2?  Right now everything is checked.  It's definitely getting confused and I don't see why it should if I close the server on those 2 PCs first...

Maybe another option could exist to BOTH Close the server and ignore the local library in order to avoid confusion?
Yaobing if I can provide you with log files or any other information let me know!

Roderick thanks for your help!

Thx 
Pages: [1]   Go Up