INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong data base showing up.  (Read 2399 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Wrong data base showing up.
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:04:58 pm »

Can someone help me with this. Form attached file you can see some "cda" data base info is showing up unexpectedly and even with specifying "limit database to" MAIN. When playing this smartlist the playback stops on the "cda" file as the disc is not inserted. I have several incidences of this.

I can find no place where the program decides or records which database the file should be displayed.

Can add a filter for "file type". by I hate to add too many filters as in the future may filter out things I do want to see. Like adding different types of music files some new HD types "dsf".

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wrong data base showing up.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:09 pm »

I think you are misunderstanding what the Main vs CD databases are about. All your audio is in the Main database. I think only information about ripped CDs is in the CD database.

For example, my Main database contains no "cda" files, and my CD database contains only "cda" files for CDs I have ripped since using MC.

So, you will have to filter out cda files, if they are in your Main database, for whatever reason. Maybe you have actually copied cda files from CDs to your hard disk, or something else is going on? If you copied them to somewhere MC can import them, then they would be in your database. For example if you told MC to import from the optical drive, it would import any files found on any CD you put into your drive, but they wouldn't be playable unless the CD is in the drive. There is a setting to control how files are treated when they are on removable media ( the Auto-Import "Fix broken links" setting), such as CD discs. Maybe you have that set to "Yes (protect files on missing drives)".

MC can play cda files, so if they are in a non-removable location that is set to be imported, and they have been, MC will paly them. However, if they are all duplicates of files you have ripped to FLAC files, which they appear to be, then you should probably get rid of the cda files.

If I try to filter out cda files using the rule [File Type] <is not> "cda" I can't, as cda isn't one of the file types available in the drop down list. You will probably see that option, as you actually have cda files in your Main database. I would have to use the rule [Filename (name)] <does not end with> ".cda" to achieve the same thing, but of course I don't need to, as there are no cda files in my Main database.

Research what the CD database is in the Wiki and Forum, and perhaps work out why cda files are in your Main database.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:42:46 am »

I think only information about ripped CDs is in the CD database

The CD/DVD database actually holds the details of every disc MC sees... I think this might be causing issues that are currently being discussed in another thread, but don't know enough about it.
I regularly go through mine removing driver installation discs, game installation discs and so on.

Other than that, I agree that Harroun4 must have these cda files imported to the main database.
I may be missing something here, but in my experience, if you copy a cda file from an audio disc to your HDD, you get a useless 44 byte file on your hard drive that nothing can play. You must either play, or rip the audio.

You can have them imported into MC though, referencing their location on original optical media.

The easiest way (I think) to check the main database for references that should really only be in the CD/DVD database, is to perform a search for:
-[volume name]=:

Any results returned from that are not on a local hard drive, and are virtually guaranteed to already exist in the CD/DVD database.
If you don't want them there, select all, press delete, and remove from media library.

By default, MC does not come with a view set up for showing the CD database, but it is quite simple to craft one.
The attached zip file contains an uncomplicated example that will work for everyone. You can place it anywhere as it doesn't honour parent searches, but makes most sense on the root of the tree.
Instructions
Download the attached zip file.
On Windows, extract the contents to: "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Library\Saved Views"
If the saved views folder is not there, create it.

On a MAC, copy the string below:
Code: [Select]
~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 21/Library/Saved Viewsand paste the string directly into Finder > Go > Go to Folder
Extract the jvi file to this folder.

Once the jvi file is saved, go to MC, and from the top menu choose "View > Add View > Add Library View" and use the view picker to add the view.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:20 am »

Thank you kind gentlemen to take the time to address my question. Now I need to carefully read over all and digest it so I can do some testing.

Previously I had my music collection all transferred to recordable CD's with the CDText added in my own style. About 15 years of off and on work editing this. Transferring to MC has been a challenge. But when I inserted my copy discs in a drive, automatically the text data is loaded in the CD data base. Now if I add the album cover to this, then do the ripping. My text and album cover is part of the ripped results. Hope that makes sense. Should I need to re-rip the CD, all I have to do is insert the disc and rip away.

As I am listening to my music I frequently spot typos or wrong album cover, or other mistakes that need attention. I have a bunch of "Smartlists" make up that show the "Main" and the "CD" data base together and carefully selecting what needs to be corrected I keep both data bases synchronized. This is a comfortable position to be in as long as I keep a good copy of the library back safely. Is some disaster occurs, re-ripping will involve only cycling the CD's through again. No editing or finding the correct album cover.

And a note, I have never tried to copy a music CD directly over to my HD. All are ripped or HD tracks I have purchased.

I see from the discussion there are several things I will have to take a look at so I have a better understanding. In a day or so I will get back with what I find.

Regards, Harroun

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:32:34 am »

Have done some testing and confirmed that the cda listings are actually in the MAIN db. They are not in the CD db.

How they got there I don't know, but doing some recent re-ripping to a new HD I was experiencing some strange activity. MC was actually creating MT folders on the new drive before I had actually ripped the CD's. Very unbelievable without seeing it yourself first hand.

I live in Thailand and my CD's are actually in a storage shed in Montana. So doing things without the CD's handy is not a good idea. Probably if I was to delete the CD entries and then reload from the CD it would be OK. But not possible. If I just delete and later need to re-rip, I have not data in the library.

So for the time being I am using an extra Rule in the Smartlist, "File Type" - "is not" and "cda". This at least sorts out the unwanted CD entries.

IF anyone has a way to move the CD entries back to where the belong I would greatly appreciate the information.

Regards, Harroun

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 05:10:11 am »

Did you already check that the CD's are not already listed in the CD database? I would have expected them to be in there too?

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 06:01:13 am »

Yes, I checked for sure on if they were. When limit the data base to CD's they are not there. Also had been thinking from past observations of the way the program works, if the listing is doubled up it will show up twice in the play lists.

It seems when ever I stopped a ripping process because I spotted an error in the text and then restarting., the program was starting at track #1 first. So all the tracks that had been ripped up to stopping would show up twice.

I wish I knew more about how the data is stored. Like if each category, Main, CD, etc are stored all in one folder or separate folders. However that works.

FYI. I am trying to learn to program in "C" on a PC, have done before on industrial PLC's, but the our little computers on the desk are much more complicated than PLC's or home automation controllers. If I can gain some sufficiency here, then will load up the SDK and give it a try.

I am suspecting there is some sort of "memory" leakage problem and this also part of it. Before if I am listening to music and decided to switch to video's, they will not play smoothly until I shut the computer down and reboot. now for some reason I can go from video to music no problem.  Just now as listening to music as writing this the sound became a series of little spikes and something about buffering. I stop the playback, wait a bit, and restart and now the track plays OK.

In fact I am thinking that I almost need a dedicated computer to use MC. At times having my music and doing several other things, everything gets choked up.

Regards, Harroun
Pages: [1]   Go Up