Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

IdPi Installation Instructions

(1/18) > >>

bob:
Requirements
Raspberry Pi 3 or Pi 4.

The power supply must have enough power for the Pi and any attached USB devices (DAC, etc).
This is a very common point of failure when using a Pi.

If you are using an external hard drive for media it MUST be powered externally.

You must have an Internet enabled Ethernet connection to the Id.

Instructions
1.  Insert the Id Pi micro SDCard into the Raspberry Pi, connect a network cable, keyboard and monitor, and power up your hardware. It takes about 90 seconds for the Id Pi to display the main menu.

2.  Choose option 18 (Enter License Key) on the main menu.  You will be queried for the registration code (included in the package).  Pay close attention to the differentiation of the number 0 and the letter O in the registration code as well as the number 1 and the lowercase letter l.   Enter the registration code and hit enter. You'll be asked to confirm the code.

3.  Enter a valid email address. This is essential in order to be able to retrieve your license from the JRiver license server in the future.

4.  In about 30 seconds you should see "License installed successfully".  If not, repeat the process.  You must have an Internet enabled Ethernet connection for this to work.

You are ready to go! If you are going to use the Id Pi as a server and not just a renderer, you will need to generate an Access Key.  You can do that by rebooting the Id into GUI mode or connecting to the Id with remote desktop or vnc.  Use option 11 on the main menu to get the IP address of the Id for remote desktop/vnc access.

When connecting with remote desktop or vnc, the default password is remote. This password can be changed from the Id main menu.

When connecting with remote desktop and with the Id Pi in text/headless mode, Media Center will be minimized on the dock. Click to bring it up.

Known Issues
Wired network connections are recommended. If you do use a wireless connection, it can be configured using a phone or via the network menu on the Id.
When using a phone, go into your wireless network selection and selecte the Id network (Id-xxxxxx). On a iOS device that will popup the Id's wireless network configuration page after a few seconds. On an Android phone use a browser to connect to http://192.168.254.254 to get to the config page.

The Raspberry Pi's limited CPU power may limit what can be rendered. This will be more of an issue with a wireless connection.

The Raspberry Pi can't play multi-channel output through HDMI.

If you need to power down the Id Pi, please do so from the main menu, using a connected monitor and keyboard or via remote desktop / vnc or by using Panel > Settings (the gear icon). This is to prevent damage to the micro SDCard.

More
Here is a source for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B:

Amazon

Questions?

JimH:
Panel
After setup is complete, you can access the Id Pi from the web app, Panel.  It uses a browser on any device and requires no app installation.

This provides access to any media content you have stored on the mSD card, to Engen lighting, and to many of the options available on the text menu of the Id.  These include the ability to remotely shut down or restart the Id.  These settings are available by clicking on the gear icon at the bottom of the page.

JimH:
Here's a direct link to Panel

It works with any Id.

ray77:
Installed mSD card and successfully entered licence key. Got "critical error" message when I tried to mount music library from laptop running MC20. Asked to enter "password below". I didn't know what password it was looking for and did not know where "below" was - did not see a text field to enter anything. Now I have received a new licence mjr file that asks me to double-click on the computer running MC22 (my Rpi). The IdPi GUI only has manual licence entry option. How do I find the licence digits inside mjr file? I am not familiar with Linux and do not want to crash the system again (only 9 licences left). I am now reading DLNA Wiki. I want to use Rpi as a dedicated music player (DLNA renderer) of music stored on my Windows 10 laptop running MC20 (DLNA server). Can't be that hard. Thanks.

JimH:
On the Id, use the text menu to enter the license.  It's an option there.

The IdPi includes MC22, so you need MC22 or higher to connect to it from your laptop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version