INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redirection of Spotify and Internet sources through WDM  (Read 1966 times)

rhadorn

• Recent member
Redirection of Spotify and Internet sources through WDM
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:41:41 am »

Hello,

I am using JRiver for a pretty long time now but still don't know what is done  and where it is done, when I listen to an other source than the JRiver player (Internet radio or Spotify for example) through the WDM driver.

The output is clear: PCM data at 44.1 kHz go through USB cable to a NAD converter. For FLAC files stored on the hard disk and played through JRiver, I suppose the decoding of the FLAC file is done by the player in JRiver.

Now, the first question is: are players different from one another, say JRiver, Spotify, some on line radios, or do they all rely on the sound card and the system software of the computer? (in my case, a laptop with Windows 10). Do the codecs differ or do all application use the same one?

The second question concerns the decoding of audio files from other sources than my hard disk: is it done by the player of the application (say TuneIn or Spotify), which sends PCM to JRiver? or does the redirection to JRiver send the original Orbis or mp3 to JRiver for decoding?

To be noted: I don't use any DSP and send the data unchanged to the DAC (yet through the RAM). So the main benefit I have from the WDM driver seems to consist in escaping the resampling done by Windows. Am I right or are there other benefits?

I searched the wiki but did not find the answer to those questions. As you did launch the WDM driver, the accent was actully put on the integration of all sources and the use of JRiver's DSP...

Reto
Pages: [1]   Go Up