INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album grouping  (Read 1435 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Album grouping
« on: July 30, 2003, 04:04:07 pm »

Matt wrote:

8. Changed: "Album Thumbnails" menu item disabled in views where album grouping isn't available.

Why album grouping isn't available in playlists?

I can't see any reason for this limitation, but I guess it should be.

For me, album grouping is an essential feature. I look at my collection from an album point of view.

I burn, copy, move, tag, backup, an so on, using MC, and I normally do it to for whole albums. Before burning (for example), I create a playlist, and drag in to it the albums I wish to include. Then, I check the selection to ensure it is a good selection. I would wish to see "Album thumbnails", because I recognize my albums for its cover art (not by name, and some times eighter by their artist)...  Finally, I burn (or copy, or play, or whatever...).

My question is: Why album grouping isn't available in playlists?

Another question is: Who and why uses track thumbnails? I just can't see the point.

Best regards,

Polonio

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album grouping
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 04:09:55 pm »

Not sure why it was disabled but track thumbnails are necessary for images and video.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 04:20:19 pm »

Not sure why it was disabled but track thumbnails are necessary for images and video.

Mmmm...

I just checked, and "Album thumbnails" (whatever it should mean) does not wark for images. I just see one picture (the first one, I think).

I was thinking about that. May be they decided not to include an "Album thumbnails" because it could be incomplete (in the playlist, or in playing now) and it could be confusing to see the whole album covert art.

If this is the case, I suggest to add some kind of icon to show the "Album thumbnail" as an incomplete album (similar thing already works to show not accessible albums or songs...).  

Any way, I hope someone explain us the reason for not allowing album thumbnails...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 05:51:48 am »

You can't group inside of ordered lists. (think about the gotcha of trying to show order when tracks 1 and 8 need to be grouped together)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 06:42:48 am »

You can't group inside of ordered lists. (think about the gotcha of trying to show order when tracks 1 and 8 need to be grouped together)

Well, I get your point. But you can  order an ordered list by any criteria - for instance, you can order the "playing now list" by Artist or Album (doesn't matter which one is the actual playing order).

So it seems possible to album group ordered lists (because "album" order could be implicit...).

Remove the playlist order and then you can album group inside a playlist.

It does not seems to work. "Album thumbnails" remains grayed after removing playlist order. Check it, or tell me if I am doing something wrong...

By the way, I must recognize I had no idea about removing playlist order...  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 06:50:20 am »

Sorry, I spoke too soon about album grouping inside playlists.

For now it's always disabled.

We may try to tackle album grouping in ordered lists in the future, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up