INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beta release observability thread, intended for non beta team users  (Read 1384 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Hi,
We (regular users) just saw release 22.0.28 appear, after almost a month of radio silence since 22.0.21's release.

It would be nice for non-beta users to have some observability in the development progress. 
Understandably, the development team will not want to have to answer questions on interim developments from the general community, but some sense of progress would be nice for us, regular users.

I would propose the following...

A locked sticky thread managed by the development team, limited to one post.

The post would contain incremental info on the new beta release, similar to the "Media Center 22.0.28 for Windows -- Available here" thread, but covering every release of v22 so far.

For instance, once 22.0.29 is in the hands of the beta team, its features (changed/fixed/new) would be added to the top of that post.

That post would also be valuable for a user that want to backtrack feature changes along the life of a version, instead of hopping through several threads.

The post should start by a disclaimer mentioning something like "experimental stuff, the development and beta team will put ZERO efforts answering questions from non beta team users on experimental developments that may not make it into a general availability release"

And a release that makes it to general availibility could be flagged like "22.0.28 (9/20/2016) GA" once released to the general user base, and "22.0.28 (9/20/2016) STABLE" if it makes it to the general web page download button...

I am sure I was not the only one thinking a month of radio silence is very long...

Thank you for considering this, or something similar, and keep on the good work !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Beta release observability thread, intended for non beta team users
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:37:02 pm »

We'd lose the element of surprise.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Beta release observability thread, intended for non beta team users
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:38:46 pm »