INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a file named "User Settings.ini"?  (Read 3287 times)

hexid26

• Recent member
Is there a file named "User Settings.ini"?
« on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:56 am »

I don't know the file "User Settings.ini" existed in Windows. But I need the file follow the reasons below

1. My main library is on my Mac Mini as HTPC
2. I have a MacBook connect to Mac Mini as client
3. Yesterday I found a file "~/Library/Application Support/J River/setting/User Settings.ini" in MacOS. So I can easily config MC the same by copy&paste between the files on different computer.

Today I redo the same thing on my Windows computer, however I couldn't find the file named "User Settings.ini".
So where is this file OR is there another file do the same work like file "User Settings.ini" in Mac version?

In fact, I need a method to migrate MC configuration from a computer to another. But the method 'library backup&restore' will make MC crash if using a backup file from different computer. So I find the file "User Settings.ini" with copy&paste some text can do what I want. But I can NOT find this file in Windows.

I hope someone can help me... :( :( :(

hexid26

• Recent member
Re: Is there a file named "User Settings.ini"?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:29:42 am »

I found the folder "C:\Users\hexid\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Settings". But it is always empty...

And there is no INI file under "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 22".

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:39 am »

3. Yesterday I found a file "~/Library/Application Support/J River/setting/User Settings.ini" in MacOS. So I can easily config MC the same by copy&paste between the files on different computer.

Today I redo the same thing on my Windows computer, however I couldn't find the file named "User Settings.ini".
So where is this file OR is there another file do the same work like file "User Settings.ini" in Mac version?

As far as I know, most of the things that are in User Settings.ini on Mac are in the Registry under Windows.  This is not the supported way of migrating settings.

In fact, I need a method to migrate MC configuration from a computer to another. But the method 'library backup&restore' will make MC crash if using a backup file from different computer. So I find the file "User Settings.ini" with copy&paste some text can do what I want.

I know about your problems with Mac.  But I think your conclusion is wrong.  People use backup and restore from computer to computer all the time without the crashing issue you are reporting.

Maybe the developers or another person here will have something to say about this.

Brian.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:53 pm »

Thanks for reply. Anyway, MC for Windows can NOT use backup file from MC for Mac. So I redo the config in 'Option'.

However I really hope developers can check "restore from another computer". If you could help, I can share my backup file from my Mac Mini and you can have a test whether it work s fine or NOT...

As far as I know, most of the things that are in User Settings.ini on Mac are in the Registry under Windows.  This is not the supported way of migrating settings.

I know about your problems with Mac.  But I think your conclusion is wrong.  People use backup and restore from computer to computer all the time without the crashing issue you are reporting.

Maybe the developers or another person here will have something to say about this.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:45:41 pm »

Thanks for reply. Anyway, MC for Windows can NOT use backup file from MC for Mac. So I redo the config in 'Option'.

I don't know why you are saying that.  I've done this and it works.  It's been a while, but it worked fine last time I tried it. 

What issues are you seeing when restoring a Mac MC backup into a Windows MC host?

Brian.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:37 am »

From what I know the software's settings are integrated with the library file:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library#Compatibility_and_Versions

Also, according to the Wiki, library files are OS specific and versions are not backwards compatible.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:45 am »

MC in Windows tell me that the backup file from MC in Mac is not a available backup file...
But MC in Mac, the file works, but make the MC crash on my macbook if I load a different library.

I don't know why you are saying that.  I've done this and it works.  It's been a while, but it worked fine last time I tried it. 

What issues are you seeing when restoring a Mac MC backup into a Windows MC host?

Brian.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:07:57 am »

The library configuration is not important for me. But the settings like custom Views, toolbar icon and etc, which is very important for me. However, I have only 3 computers, so it doesn't take me too much time to config MC. But I think MC have the function to restore and backup, so I hope it could help. However, it didn't...

From what I know the software's settings are integrated with the library file:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library#Compatibility_and_Versions

Also, according to the Wiki, library files are OS specific and versions are not backwards compatible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up