INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View  (Read 2935 times)

jtfrazier

Album View
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:49:23 pm »

I recently added burned an album with 2 CDs. When I look at the album view, I see 3 albums. One song on the 2nd CD is showing in its own album. I can't figure out why. The album name, artist, and composer are all the same. I tried cutting and pasting tags from one of the songs in the "main" version into the song on the separate album and use update library from tags. Clearly there are bigger issues in life, but this drives my OCD inner child crazy. I can find no good reason that song is shoved into a separate album. JRive MC 20.0.21

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album View
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

Check the Album Artist tag.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »

Jim's almost certainly correct.  You probably have one song that has a different [Artist] tag than the rest, which is making MC group it as a separate album.  The cure is to set [Album Artist] to a common value for every song on the album.  See this article for details:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Also, it's worth considering how you set up multi-disc albums.  One way to do it is as you have already done it:  Make each CD it's own album.  That makes sense for big collections like say a 10 CD set of different artists that are grouped together some how, like a survey of Blues or something.  But for regular albums like Pink Floyd's The Wall, or The Best Of The Doors, or something else that happens to be on 2 CDs, but is actually one "album", I like to make them appear in MC as one album.  To me, this makes much more sense than seeing "the wall disc 1" and "the wall disc 2".  Instead, I just see "the wall" and inside the album I see all of the tracks ordered by disc #, track #.

Brian.

patented_licks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:41:29 am »

jtfrazier:

To be a little clearer....

Using album view, select all the tracks and view tags (Edit/Tag, or alt-enter on the keyboard). You'll see "Album," "Album Artist," and "Artist". MC assigns albums by Album Artist if is it filled, or Artist if Album Artist is blank. (MC leaves Album Artist blank when ripping (at least for me).)

As blgentry suggested, you can combine (or split) CDs in to albums as you please. To combine 2 CDs into one album, first renumber the tracks (by renaming track #) on the 2nd CD to follow from the 1st CD. Then rename both CDs to have the same Album name. Then you'll have a single album with proper track order.

You can also use mp3tag (a free program) to tag albums and tracks, but it is no better, and in some ways trickier, than using MC.

Hope this helps.

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 02:56:01 am »

The other option is to rename the files with disc # as a prefix eg 101' 203 etc

For big sets I use 2 custom tags Box Set and Disc Name then a view where box set is not Empty. Works well for big classical sets. You open the box and pick a virtual CD

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up