INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting file format in JRiver  (Read 3985 times)

alcarp

• Recent member
Converting file format in JRiver
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:52 am »

I have a need to convert files in a playlist from .aiff to .mp3.

When I create the playlist by dragging and dropping tracks JRiver seems to generate a sequence number that reflects the order in which the tracks were added.

I want this order to be preserved in the folder containing the converted files.

JRiver seems to be changing this order by sorting alphabetically on the track name contained in the metadata of the original file.

How do I get JRiver to preserve the order in the playlist?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting file format in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:22:55 am »

It sounds like you want to do something similar to a Handheld Sync.  Handheld Sync is designed to work with portable players and transfer your playlists to them:  Both the music files, and the playlists.  Then, on the portable device (handheld) you can select the playlist and play in order from there.  If playlist files (like M3U) would work for you, then you're all set.  You can make a handheld definition and tell it to both convert and copy over the playlist file(s).

I think you're seeing it copy your files alphabetically because that's how your files are named on disc.  MC just uses the existing file name when it does a conversion; it doesn't rename them.  As far as I know, the conversion tool doesn't have a rename option.

However, MC does have the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  You can probably use that to copy your files with new names that are prefixed with the sequence number of the list.  It's a little bit tricky, but it can be done.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Brian.

alcarp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:32 am »

The files in the playlist come from different albums.

Here's an example of 3 files in the playlist:

Seq No        Track Name

1                 06 XXXXX
2                 02 YYYYY
3                 ZZZZZ

In the folder containing the converted files the order is:

ZZZZZ
                 02 XXXXX
                 06 YYYYY

I want the order in the folder containing the converted files to be exactly the same as in the playlist.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 08:12:54 am »

If a playlist file (M3U or similar) won't help you, then you need to rename the files either before or after conversion.  You might use the RM&C tool to first copy them to a new directory with new names.  Then use the conversion tool to convert them in place.

This expression for Filename can be used in the RM&C tool to name them with the playlist sequence number, followed by the song name:

Code: [Select]
CustomData(#)_[Name]
Brian.

alcarp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:39:44 am »

Thanks Brian.

I don't understand why JRiver can't use the seq no it generates for the playlist to order the tracks in the converted folder.

That would solve the problem neatly.

Otherwise, since there are only about a dozen tracks in the playlist. I can cut and paste the files in the converted folder to another folder in the order desired.
Pages: [1]   Go Up