INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting format of TV recordings  (Read 2057 times)

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
Converting format of TV recordings
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:11:37 pm »

MC 21.0.90 on Windows 10, using Hauppauge DualHD USB tuner.

I've started recording a few shows over-the-air on my HTPC, all have been recording in the jtv format (which I know is actually comprised of a number of files per show). Now I want to convert them into a "normal" video file format so I can move them around and organize them properly for storage (not to mention play them in other apps).

So, I select one or more episodes in my library, and go to "Tools/Advanced Tools/Convert Format". I select a format from the pull-down list, specify other options (destination, etc.) as appropriate, and click "Convert". It chews on the file for awhile, and appears to finish successfully.

But, when I go to play the converted file (which I auto-import back into the library), the audio sync is completely messed up. The farther I get into the show playback, the more out-of-sync the audio becomes.

I've tried a couple of the conversion presets... I think it defaulted to "H264-TS 480p", but I've also tried "MP4 480p AutoFPS" (just at random). And I've tried several episodes, but the result is always the same, horrible audio sync problem.

The shows were all recorded over-the-air using a subscription in the MC Television section. The original (jtv) recordings all play fine.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a different conversion preset(s) that would work better?

Aimhere

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting format of TV recordings
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:03 pm »

This typically happens when the first few frames are corrupted.  I get this all the time (although I record in .ts format).  So, when I archive, I use Handbrake, and have the conversion process start 10 seconds in.  Since doing this, I might have had 1 file that was a problem, and I have literally done 400+ files.

Since you recorded in jtv, I am not sure if there is a way to fix it.  I could of course also be completely wrong on the root cause.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting format of TV recordings
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:54:37 am »

Converting JTV files in MC sucks at the moment. Did you notice that any output you got was in stereo, even if the input was six channel, AC3 or AAC?

It also takes a long time, and actually converts the audio and video which results is loss of quality, when it really only needs to remux it from the JTV container into a TS container, which can then be used by lots of applications.

Use this method I wrote up: Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up