INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only music user need to upgrade to 9,1?  (Read 2290 times)

zevele10

Only music user need to upgrade to 9,1?
« on: July 24, 2003, 12:09:06 pm »

I'am still learning the hard way how to use MC9.
I use it only for music- do not have pictures or movie-

It is worth the trouble to start again with a new  program  if you do only music?

What are the plus at the music only feature ?

Now that there is another color to MC than f..blue , i may make the jump  if new features

nila

Re: Only music user need to upgrade to 9,1?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:46:54 pm »

Well the panes are one if you like them.

Also - for burning data cd's you can now re-name the files on the cd - either manually OR by using naming schemes like with rename from properties etc - works great and is perfect for backing up mp3's with long file names.

The location toolbar gives button access to some tools - not many tools currently available for it for audio thou.

I'm sure there are more too but those are the main ones I can think of.

Jim says Hairstyle is going to get a big work over too so that'll be one more.

Menu's got dropped back to having everything put in the folder 'Send To' so that's one again :) - gives one more level to navigate for everything now.

Kind of shows what features effect people I guess by what they remember of the feature changes :)

Oh - and the view scheme grouping is alot better done now :)

ooooh - and - if u happen to have a DVD Burner - We can burn to those now - works mmmmm - smoothly!!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 04:13:32 am »

plus the bugs in MC9 are being fixed in MC9.1
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 06:13:19 am »

plus the bugs in MC9 are being fixed in MC9.1

But surely as a current, and indeed the only released product, surely the bugs in V9 should be fixed in V9 as well as in V9.1 (which is only beta still)

We have not had an update or bug fix release for V9 since 4th June?

Just a thought?

Although i am very close to taking the plunge with V9.1 as it seems to be pretty stable.

Graham

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 06:51:25 am »

if your waiting for a bug fix in version 9.0 i think you have a long wait.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 09:45:40 am »

if your waiting for a bug fix in version 9.0 i think you have a long wait.

Which is really comforting for those users that are told "No one is forcing you to upgrade" when they express their dissatisfaction/dislike of some of 9.1s "features".

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 09:57:25 am »

No one is forcing you to upgrade"

I think that statement still stands true
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 10:16:16 am »

Anyway ,even if you upgrade ,you would NEVER get a bug free program.
They run and left no bug free cadavers on the side of the road.
7 ,8 ,now 9 .
When 10 out ,9 would have never fixed bugs.

One  can really be fed-up with all this circus.

But until another jukebox able to deal with thousand and thousand  of file in a breeze , they will use MC and post on Interact

TimB

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 10:19:33 am »

IMHO the best thing to do is stay with 180 until you can't stand it any longer and then go to the latest and greatest 9.1.  In my case that means daily updates :) but its not true for everyone.  If you want bug fixes then you really need the latest version of 9.x.  Anything really bad is usually fixed the next day and its been awhile for me since that's happened, actually now I think of it, it hasn't happened since I upgraded to XP.  I've not lost a database ever!  (Tho' I have automated daily backups of my DB just in case. ;))

I don't know what J River's policy is but I think its an inefficient use of resources to fix bugs on old versions.  As 8.0 represents a different product and price point I can see why that might be an exception for a limited amount of time.

I'd prefer to see more new features than bug fixes to older versions. ;)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 10:26:02 am »

Yes ,but there is a new feature in 9,1 concerning burning files with to long file names i really want.

I do not really care about bugs ,cause i do not use MC for a lot of things .

My problems been this f.. blue color -- but Gold skin is here- and start again with a new program when i still try to understand how to use MC9.

I just don't care about most of the 9,1 new features , it is just this burning thing

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 10:41:10 am »

You are going to have to get used to 9.1 sometime and this is as good a time as any because, like you say, it's pretty stable now.  So if you upgrade now you have a chance to have your say on how your favorite features (even if they are few) are developed or point out any issues you encounter that you don't like or think could be improved.  This is something you will not get to do if you wait until 9.1 is released (as you've already found out with 9.0).

I'm a music only user too and I'm really glad I upgraded.  I've already managed to convince them to make a change which is really making a difference to me (and a lot of others apparently).  Just think, if I hadn't upgraded I could possibly be stuck with that annoying behaviour (where playing now tracks get accidentally cleared after pressing enter in search bar) for another 6 months or so.

Take the plunge - you'll not look back.

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 11:41:32 am »

I don't know what J River's policy is but I think its an inefficient use of resources to fix bugs on old versions.  As 8.0 represents a different product and price point I can see why that might be an exception for a limited amount of time.

I agree, but the official release of 9.0 was only several months ago. So I wouldn't really classify it as old software. Personally, I don't really have any issues with 9.0,  but I probably don't use most of the features that other users are filing bug reports on.

So if you upgrade now you have a chance to have your say on how your favorite features (even if they are few) are developed or point out any issues you encounter that you don't like or think could be improved.  This is something you will not get to do if you

That's fine. I guess I don't really spend much time thinking about new features and changes to existing features, though. I just want whatever features the devs have decided on to work properly and consistently. Using your example of the search bar/enter/playing now issue, I don't really care whether hitting the enter key after a search clears Playing Now or not, but I do want the decided upon behaviour to be consistent and bug-free.

The other problem I see here is that it seems to be a fairly small group of users who participate on these forums constantly pushing to have their pet features/changes implemented, but sometimes act like unruly children when they are told "no".

Take the plunge - you'll not look back.

I used 9.1 for about 3 weeks and have gone back to 9.0 for the time being. I'm sure eventually I'll upgrade, but right now I don't particularly care for the new interface, etc.

Rob

jleerigby

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 12:01:36 pm »

The other problem I see here is that it seems to be a fairly small group of users who participate on these forums constantly pushing to have their pet features/changes implemented, but sometimes act like unruly children when they are told "no".
Thankfully JR listen to the arguments and take the sensible approach so this type of thing is not to the detriment to the software.  

Perhaps you should also give some credit to these people for the time and effort they put in to the beta testing - and the subsequent benefits that we all enjoy as a result.

gkerber

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 02:51:29 pm »

Although i am very close to taking the plunge with V9.1 as it seems to be pretty stable.

I took the plunge about a week ago, once we were able to remove the panes from view and the tree was functional (and I learned how to get it all configured right).

Not too sure if I notice all that much difference between 9.0 and 9.1 (considering that I am not a power user).  But one must be current.....

zevele10

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 01:12:09 pm »

With 9,1 since one day.
Not sure i need the panes ,but who knows.
Being able to set Artist/Album in the tree was ,to me , a raison to not go back to 9.
Anyway ,i'am burning non-stop ,trying to find out the way i like the most 'to tag' my MP3CDs
Pages: [1]   Go Up